is red peper flakes really as hot as it seems?

it calls for it in a chowder recipes, sounds good and probably will be colorful to it but if you take a bite and your mouth is on fire, i wouldnt want it.

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• They aren't too hot to me, but I love hot and spicy food. I eat them on my pizza and in pasta. I think if you're only putting 1/8tsp. in an entire thing of chowder, and it's cooking down, it will give it a really good flavor and won't be too hot.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No, they aren't that hot! If you are worried about it, just half of what it calls for..
    AdoptingMyChild

Answer by AdoptingMyChild at 6:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• 1/8 of a teaspoon will barely be noticeable. Go ahead and add the full amount. Hot and sour soup from chinese food restaurants have about four times as much as that in them if that helps you determine how hot it will be :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 6:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think they are hotter if you use them dry (like sprinkle on top of a pizza slice) but if you cook it into the chowder then it wouldn't be so bad. And like the previous poster said, you can use half of what it calls for.
    zava_t

Answer by zava_t at 6:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Everyone has a different preseption of what is hot, some people are more sensitive to spicey flavors than others. With that said, if the recipe only requires a small amont, I would put it all in, if it has a large amont than I would half it, you can always add more later if it's too bland for your taste. Keep in mind that red pepper flakes get hotter as they cook, not an extreme amount, but the do.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Depends on if you have a high tolerance for spicy...I love spicy so I would put a lot on my food!
    Vivi.C.

Answer by Vivi.C. at 6:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Everyone is different with their tastes. I would use a little less just to be on the safe side.
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 7:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• well it calls for and 1/8 of a teaspoon in a chowder and i think we can handle a bit of hotness but not like extreme to where we are hanging our tongues out huffing and puffing
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

Vivi.C.