Ever experienced this or have a child with a similar problem?

I think my daughter has a serious learning disability. I first noticed it a few months ago. She's 4 years old and has been counting to ten for almost a year now. However when I asked her to count ten objects on a page she can't get past #1! I thought well maybe it's a spatial reasoning isue. Not so. Part of her homework today was to say her full name first, middle, and last. Which she's known since she was 2. She couldn't tell me anything. She just sat there and said uhh... over and over again. Meanwhile her younger sister is saying her name over and over again.(not her own name her sisters) Then she started crying! So I was so upset I just put her homework up and went outside. If she can't even say her name when asked how will she make it past kindergarten next year? And every year after that requires an exam to reach the next level. I know that she knows these things because she'll tell me or I'll overhear her playing.

ainstalshia

Asked by ainstalshia at 6:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would talk to her teacher. I know for the first few weeks my kindergardener acted like everything was soooo hard and had little fits. We had a nice talk about how she is able to do this and of course for her I had to prove it to her. Today no fits and she did much better. Maybe it is her confidence that is getting in her way. That was what it was with my daughter.
    You can also check out a head start program and they are set up to help kids get ready for school.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Wow! Does the teachers not see she is struggling? I would think things you are describing would make her stand out. I am a teacher and in a the second week of school is when you can really get a feel for the room & their needs. Is this a day care setting? I was thinking that most of the educational testing really takes place either at kindergarten or the first grade level & sometimes older. Maybe you can tell you concerns to her pediatrician. Her doctor can refer you to a specialist to see if there are really problems and what these problems may be. Good luck!
    babybutastink

Answer by babybutastink at 6:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it may be a disability, or it may just be performance anxiety. I've done this my whole life. the crying about it is what made me think performance anxiety. if that's it then all you can do is help her calm down and not getting upset or pushing too hard, just let her work through it and let her know it's ok to not be able to always do things on demand like that. good luck!
    KayMMIV

Answer by KayMMIV at 6:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• DevillnPigtails- She is in a headstart program (pre-school for 3-4). Yes I'm really wondering why her teachers haven't noticed it. To be honest I'm wondering how much they really teach them. It's from 8-11:30 and they eat breakfast and lunch at school, have outside time and circle time (the teacher reads a book out loud to the whole class) how much more time is that for classroom type stuff? Not much. I know she's still young but I want her to do well in school and these problems are better taken care of early. It breaks my heart for her and I get so upset when she cries and to be honest I don't have the patience or time to sit there for 30 minutes to get her to tell me her name. As a child I was diagnosed with ADD and put on medication at an early age. I don't want this for her so I'm scared to seek a specialists opinion
    ainstalshia

Comment by ainstalshia (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• keep in contact with her teachers, and see if she is the same way with them. my son would never sing his abc's for me. i did not hear him sing them until he entered a young 5's program. when he was 3 or 4he could count to 12 with my dad, but not past 3 with me. also, his younger brother seemed to grasp the concept of counting objects sooner than my first born. for us, i think it was my son and me together. he just started the 1st grade and is average or above average with everything.
    keep an eye on it, and do keep the lines of communication open between you and your daughter's teachers too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If you know she knows the answer but can't give it to you, I'd think more along the lines of just stress (or performance anxiety as someone else suggested). Talk to the teacher if you're concerned and see if he/see sees the same thing.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My 3 year old sometimes clams up when we quiz her about what she learns. Maybe the teachers don't notice because she is doing well in school and just gets anxious when you ask her, like she doesn't want to let you down. I have a difficult time teaching my daughter academic type things because she seems to get flustered easily but doesn't great when other people teach her things. I would talk to the teacher and see if she is having problems in class and go from there. If she is having problems maybe talk to her pediatrician and get her evaluated. Good Luck.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• try 2 take her 2 a docter or a sherink
    Butterfly-20

Answer by Butterfly-20 at 3:25 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You know she knows the answer, you hear her say it when the pressure's off....she cry's when put on the spot....that sounds like performance anxiety to me. Work with her a bit more...try not to make it seem like "work"....good luck, momma!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Talk to her teacher.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 7:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2010