How do you all get your baby to sleep at night? For babies over 6 months old.

My son is almost 8 months now and I have a little bit of trouble getting him to sleep since I took him off the binky. My daughter never took a binky so this is kind of new to me. Any advice?

mamadaniof2

Asked by mamadaniof2 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My oldest never would take the binky either so I'm not much help, I just held him and rocked him to sleep. He was also weird in that he hated singing, so that was out too. He was a big hair soother though, so maybe try just stoking his head/hair see if that helps?
    KayMMIV

Answer by KayMMIV at 7:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Have you tried playing lullabies in his room? When my son was about 2months, I started the lullabies and he slept through the night from then on.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Well he loves when I sing to him. His thing is he loves staying up and playing.
    mamadaniof2

Comment by mamadaniof2 (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Nuyrsed to sleep for the most part. Then rocked to sleep. Then he went all on his own with NO intervention by me. Watch baby's cues is key, and remember baby drives the bus.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We take our son into his room at night, and after the diaper change, we turn off the lights and just use his nightlight. We feed him his last bottle of the day, don't talk to him, or only talk to him quietly the entire time, and then rock him to sleep. We love white noise machines, the Sleep Sheep is amazing. I think for us, a full belly right before bed means a happy baby sleeping.

Good luck!
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Sometimes nurses to sleep, other times Daddy rocks and snuggles her to sleep. She goes down pretty well both ways. Follow his cues.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• dd nurses to sleep. it is a lifesaver!!

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I always laid my kids down to sleep while they were awake. When my son was around 8-9 months he got to where he would play for 1/2 hour or so before he would lay down and sleep, but he wasn't crying and he was happy. We just limited the toys in his crib so he got bored fairly quickly and would go to sleep. Since he put himself to sleep, he was able to get himself back to sleep if/when he woke up.

Answer by missanc at 9:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2010