Do your children have chores? What type of chores are appropriate for what ages?

My son is 6 and he cleans his room and makes his bed everyday. During the summer he also helps take out the trash everyday. During the school year, he helps take out the trash only on weekends. By help take out the trash, I mean he carries the grocery bags we use as bathroom trash bags, while either my husband or I carry the kitchen trash with all the bedroom and living room trash. However, a friend of mine has a 7 year old that has no chores whatsoever, and a coworker of mine has a 6 year old that feeds the dog as well as cleans her room and vacuums her room and cleans her bathroom. I am not sure where the line is.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• There is no "line" persay. What is good for your family may not be ideal for another family. Growing up, my brother and I would clean our rooms every Saturday before we could go to a friends house, do the dishes twice a week; my brother would vacuum while I helped my mom fold the laundry which we did once a week. But my best friend didn't do any chores. It depends on what YOU think your kids should do. Looking back on it, I am glad I was asked to do those, because now, with a baby on the way, it's a lot easier to keep my house clean because I know how to clean and I know when things are too dirty. For me, I appreciate now that I had chores. But of course, being a kid, I hated it back then. My only friendly advice would be, Go with your gut, and don't let other moms make you feel guilty because you want your kids to be responsible for keeping things clean.
    CsetLaVie

Answer by CsetLaVie at 4:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my kids are 6-7 years old:
    They put their dirty dishes in the sink
    Vacuum the kitchen floor
    Vacuum their bedroom floor
    Dust their bedroom
    pick up their own toys/stuff
    Set the table for meals
    make their beds
    wipe down the kitchen table after meals

and at times help cook.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 4:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• and feed the dog and the cat.... I forgot that.
    SAHMinIL

• Well my son also puts his dishes in the sink, and he folds and puts away his own laundry.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i think what ur making him do is a perfect balence soo good job i think kis should start learning chores early on but gradually
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my 9 year old has to feed and water the dog, and that basicly the only chore he has thats all his. LOL!

at around 5 o'clock (about now- lol) when hubby calls and says he's on his way home we all help clean the house as a team. my sons all do the toy picking up all through out the house while i do the vacuuming. the house get clean in less then 15 minutes (then it gets dirty again,silly toys - lol)
    dannersmell

Answer by dannersmell at 6:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• my 7 year old loves to clean with me.He puts away his clothes after we wash, cleans his room ever other day( it doesnt get that dirty), puts away his dirty dishes, sometimes washes them too(when there is only a couple glasses and plates), he loves to dust and vaccum, and he wants to do more but there really isnt anything else. lol.
    momofalexandjj

Answer by momofalexandjj at 7:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My kids are 6 and 8. Here are their chores: Feed the dogs, sweep the floor, make their beds, run the sweeper, clear the cereal bowls from the table, wash the breakfast dishes,wipe the bathroom sink with a bathrooom wipe and clean up the dog poop from the backyard. They get paid $2 a week for this and if they want to earn more money, they shovel snow in the winter, which they LOVE to do, they actually went out on their own and did it last winter, they asked me if they could do it. They also pull weeds from the garden to earn extra.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:27 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• mine are 4 and 8 and they just clean thier rooms. the girl vaccums. she thinks its fun. that's it. my 8 year old had tkd and tons of homework during the school year. since she brings home a 3.9 yearly average yearly, i do most of the housework. i wnat her focused on school. but her room, jimmy hoffa's dead body could be in there, it gets so bad, so that's on her.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2008