How often are you supposed to treat your home and yard to effectively prevent fleas?

Just curious..... My large dog occasionally has a few and that bothers me because he will sit there and scratch like crazy, even when there are only a couple.... I give him a flea bath weekly.....

AdoptingMyChild

Asked by AdoptingMyChild at 7:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pets

• TO effectively treat fleas it is best to treat the pets. All of them whether they go out or not. Check with your vet about Advantage, Frontline or Comfortise.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Get him some flea prevention such as Advantix....then he won't bring fleas into your house. They will die and fall off of him before he has a chance to bring them in. Flea sprays or bombs,etc. are toxic and I wouldn't want to treat the house unless it is a huge problem. PEVENTION is the answer. You can get Advantix or some of the others at a Vet. It will save you money and misery in the long run to get flea and tick medications for the dog. You just squirt it on your dog's back in the area of his shoulders.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh he does have Advantix.... I'm sorry... I should've mentioned that... :D
    AdoptingMyChild

Comment by AdoptingMyChild (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I don't treat the house or yar. There is no need since I keep my guys on on advantage year round.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We use Frontline and we've never had a flea problem with our pets. We've been very lucky.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 11:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010