Do you think it is okay for teachers to be friends with their students on Facebook?

With schools back in session I have noticed this topic a couple of times online. I was curious as to what you think. In our handbook (teachers & staff) for our high school it is recommended that we are not friends with our current students on Facebook.

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in

• I am a teacher. I would NEVER have a student of mine as a friend on Facebook or My Space. My account settings are set so that it would even be extremely difficult for actual friends to find me to prevent students from finding me.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm a teacher in an elementary school, so it's not really an issue for me to be friends with my students, but if one of their parents would try to be my friend, I would not do it.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 7:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No I don't think that is a good idea at all. Teachers should be able to have a life outside of school and kid should not have open views into their teachers lives.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I am an HR Director for a school and it is in our Code of Ethics not to be "friends" with any of our students or their family members in any online community or format other than our secure parent/teacher communication forum on our intranet. All teachers and other school employees are required to sign it and adhere to it.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No
    janette25

Answer by janette25 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'd never friend a student.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• In our school, they're not allowed to be friends like that with students. If they get caught, they will get fired. I think it's a good idea, too.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• NO
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• No it should only be between friends and family
    rylymama

Answer by rylymama at 12:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Nope. Former students would be ok.
    nicole_Evans

Answer by nicole_Evans at 9:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2010