Does anyone shave their face as an exfoliant? or for hairy face?

I know it is deeply personal. I saw on one of those morning shows (can't remember which one), that some women shave their face. Some to exfoliate and some because of unwanted hair. Does it really make it come back thicker and more coarse? If you try it, I want to know cause I might get brave one day and shave instead of wax....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• no, I don't shave to exfoliate, facial scrubs do this just fine for me. I don't shave any unwanted hair, but I do wax a little bit of some unwanted upper lip hair.. and plug one stray hair that seems to grow on the side of my face that drives me NUTS!!

Does it really make it come back thicker and more coarse? No. the reason it feels more coarse or thicker is because you are cutting off the softer tip, so it FEELS thicker, but in reality it's not any thicker than it was before you clipped the ends.
    BUT.. it will feel rougher than it will if you wax. And tends to be more noticable visably with shaving.

AND waxing pulls the hair from the follicle, meaning it'll take longer for it to grow back. Sometimes wax can seep into the follicle damaging it, cause the hair to not grow back. (not a medical concern however, it's not much different that what happens with electrolysis).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• No it won't grow back coarser, but the blunt cut ends will feel stubbly. Please do not do this. IT will feel horrible when you or someone else touches your face. Waxing is amuch better choice. Waxing may even evenually make it grow back slower and lighter because the more you do it, the more you traumatize the hair folicles. I also suggest you talk to your doctor. If you are fussy, there's a good chance you have a hormone imbalance. PCOS is one of the most common causes.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2010