How would you react?

So I pulled into the gas station to fuel up and some guy comes over and starts talking to me. He's young (I'd guess about 20), and I'm not completely paying attention to what he's saying (partly because I don't care, and partly because I initially assumed he was trying to sell something). I didn't get his whole story, but I caught something about "just got back" and mention of "Fort " something or other, so I assume he's saying he's military (though as I continued on my drive I wondered if he was talking about back from jail or something, there are a lot of things that are not military related that contain 'fort' in the area). Anyway, he said he's signed up for something or other (I assume school or training of some sort). And he's trying to get from City A to City B (about 60 miles), and he's run out of gas.

So what would you think and how would you respond to the guy?

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 7:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Strangers have help me before . If the money was in my pocket and not in my wallet i will have offered. Pay it foward
    Blue1212

Answer by Blue1212 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I may give him $5 or so (not my place to judge what he does with the money...I give if I feel led to). But I don't give rides to strangers.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 7:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We get a lot of "I ran out of gas" or "I just need another couple dollars for the bus". I wouldn't have given him anything, it was probably a junkie trying to get money for drugs.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Wow you just stood there while some one was telling you something and just ignored them>? I give too much of my self to people talking to me I could have not ignored him.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• well i prob woulda listened i am like that..... and if was military i woulda told him to call his comander
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I generally assume he's scamming, and normally tell people "sorry, I don't have any cash" in these kinds of situations. (I really don't carry cash, or at least very little) But he was polite, etc. *shrug* so I told him "I don't have any cash, but pull your car up, and I'll run my card for you". He said it was completely out and wouldn't start, and managed to find a gas can from someone when I went in to buy some oil. So I paid $5.55 to fill the gas can, found a $2 in my wallet and gave it to him. And went on my way.

Legitimately story or not, I've no way of knowing, and honestly don't really care. Strangers have helped me out in the past.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• He honestly didn't strike me as military. Granted I've not been around a lot of military people, but I generally expect them to present themselves with more confidence. (Not really sure how to describe it, but the whole posture, tone of voice, etc.)
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• And he definitely didn't have the mannerisms of a junkie.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would ignore him. Once in awhile those people are legit but more often they aren't. I wouldn't give him money or a ride.
    irishangel710

Answer by irishangel710 at 7:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• if i had the extra money, i would tell the attendant to put $10 on his pump. i've done it before. but nowadays i don't have the extra money.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010