Has anyone read the book Skinny bitch bun in the oven? I love reading pregnancy books and learning things to have a healthier pregnancy so I picked it up ...instead it scared the SH*T out of me!! I am a big dairy person and I have/am been eating the wrong things thinking I was eating healthy! ...I did enjoy the book and do plan to change my diet a bit but I was just wondering what your opinions on it were?!

MrsPilat

Asked by MrsPilat at 3:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Haven't read the book, but the women who wrote Skinny Bitch are vegans. Vegans are hard-core about not eating millk products, so I think their point of view may be a bit skewed. I personally, think it's ridiculous that anyone would sell or publish a book for pregnant women with the title "skinny" in it. That's the last thing we need to be worrying about and I'm sick of our society making us feel like we have to be perfectly thin, even in pregnancy. Try switching to soy milk if it bothers you. It's not that bad.
    Anonymous

• ive never read it but someone on CM reccomended skinny bitch in the kitchen to me to help me lose weight and also mentioned the one your talking about. im curious to know tho what were you eating that you thought was healthy that the book is telling you isnt? cause people think a lot of things are healthy that really arnt. ive been eating a lot of kashi go lean cereal and drinking a lot of water. and salmon. but i dont think you can eat that being pregnant.
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 3:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If you do cut out dairy, please, please, please take a calcium supplement. I agree with the PP, and I wouldn't change to a vegan diet mid-pregnancy. Your baby needs protein and calcium! Talk to your doctor about the book and see what he/she suggests.
    Jmum

Answer by Jmum at 3:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I am going to try soy milk, I can't go all complete vegetarian or vegan but I would like to change my diet a bit. ...and I did not know they were vegans till I read it obviously. I just am in such shock bc I never knew any of this. It was a complete shock to me that dairy may have bad effects on our bodies!! Yes I know this is two vegans to get their point across but I just find it interesting that I never knew any of this...of course they will bad mouth everything they don't believe in but they do have research to back it up.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Just wondering...what exactly are they saying about milk?
    JacksMama613

Answer by JacksMama613 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I tried being a vegan too. It was not easy and I didn't like tofu. Do you recommend the book?Maybe I will check it out.
    sweetmama0607

Answer by sweetmama0607 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I do not consume any dairy products. I do take some calcium supplements. In all honesty, to lose weight, more than dairy will need to be removed from your diet. I have eaten one thing with dairy in it in the last 8 months and I ended up being sick. My body has adjusted to not having it.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I have read the book & I liked it. While I am vegetarian, and not vegan, I still thought it was a great, healthy-pregnancy focused book. And they do not in any way advocate losing weight while pregnant, they were just sticking to their original title.
    Joannimal

Answer by Joannimal at 2:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I don't know what the book says but I do know that you need dairy while pregnant. Switch to skim milk... I know I drank over half a gallon of skim milk a day while pregnant, doctor says its very healthy and I only gained 22 lbs.
    punkrockmom153

Answer by punkrockmom153 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2009