Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

can I move my son out of the state of WI without his fathers permisson?

I live in Wi.. We currently live together as a family.. My man(also my sons father) has me in a position i am ashamed of.. I am currently a SAHM and have no extra money put up..He has been treating me real bad without going into details.. One of the things he has been saying is I cant leave the state so if I leave him(I am from another state) I will get arrested and lose custody of my son.. I have no one here in this state and really need to be at home with my support system to help so I can make a life for me and my kid...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (10)
  • I am pretty sure you cant...I dont know your states laws but I know in florida and New Jersey( both stated I have lived in) if you cross state lines without the other parents permission its kidnapping. but you can go to court and plead your case and if a judge says you can go then you'll have no problem. Good Luck I'm sorry. I hope everything works out for you and your son.

    Answer by Finkette at 7:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • i think its only kidnapping if the father does it, but you also have good reason to do it for the welfare of the child and urself, if ur close to iowa or going there i maybe able to help u

    Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • It depends on what type of custody situation you have. Are you married? If so you both have custody and placement of the child. If you are not married it would depend on where the child was born in WI or another state, and what your child support/ custody papers say. If you have full custody, full placement then you can leave without worrying about that, however if you have joint custody with joint or full placement, you need his permission to move out of state. If he say no you need to see a court appointed mediator, to help solve the issue. If not he could have you arrested.

    Answer by sheloveearth at 7:57 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • barring a situation where you are afraid for your or your son's life, no, you can't leave the state without his permission

    Answer by gypsymama532 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • You REALLY need to ask a professional... call a family lawyer and ask where you stand in your state. Call the courts, call the police station.... call anyone who may know for sure, with out a doubt and ask... PLEASE!!! But don't tip your hand to the dad until you know for sure!!


    Answer by Morgain at 8:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • There is NOTHING he can do to stop you UNLESS there is a court order. I know this from experience! My mother left the state to get away from my brothers father! YES you can leave...

    But as I said...Its only if he hasnt started anything in court...If he goes a files custody or visitaion etc...then you cant! Untill then...You can go!

    Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I know my brothers ex girlfriend did that like 20yrs ago without my brothers permission thus he paid child support and never saw his dd again and she was only 9 months old and is now a grown woman he didn't stop her though. I'd check the laws in your state

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • Yeah if he doesnt take you to court before you want to leave then he cant do anything about it

    Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • If there is no custody order in place, you can move. Once an order is in place, if it says you can't move then you can't. But you need to talk to a lawyer to discuss all your options.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I agree you can as long as there is no custody order in place. I would take this to court though and get full custody that way it don't come bite you in the ass in the long run if he does do something about it.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.