Can I give my 1 month old anything for constipation?

I just switched from breast feeding to formula feeding (soy) and the poor little guy can hardly poop. He just managed to push out about a quarter size poop that was the consistancy of clay. Help, I don't want my baby to be in pain.

beck_9808

Asked by beck_9808 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They make pediatric glycerin suppositories. I would call the pediatrician's office first, though. My son was a tad bit older when I had to use them on him. Also, 1/2 ounce apple juice and 1 ounce of water mixed will help, but again-- he may be too young. Call his pediatrician--- they'll know exactly what to tell you! Good luck! I hope the little man feels better soon!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 4:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• the best thing for one that age is mix a little prune juice or go get one thing of baby food and poor alittle into the bottle and mix it up good prunes will make them have a good bal movement it helped my daughter..even alittle will do cuase there so tiny so you could even try putting alittle on a spoon and sticking it in there mouth and blow on the face to make them swallow thats all they need.
    armybug

Answer by armybug at 4:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My one month old had the same problem and his pediatrician told us to try 1/2 ounce of 100% apple juice or prune juice in between a feeding. we tried it and he was able to poop. he said that was something better than introducing meds at his age. but you should see your ped. first.
    aserran4

Answer by aserran4 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Warm water is what is recommended for constipation at such a young age. Is there anyway you could attempt to breastfeed again? As you can see it truly does make a difference to baby and watching baby in such discomfort is so hard especially when you know you can make it all better. Try putting baby to the breast as soon as possible to build your supply back up.

Anonymous

• NO JUICE! one month is too young!! Put a teaspoon of Dark Karo Syrup in his bottle, in with formula or mixed with an ounce of water if Bf'ing. But no no no juice! My youngest boy gets it in his bottle twice a day and it keeps him regulated.
    Anonymous

• I agree... use the Karo Syrup.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 5:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• ok i know this is nasty but my mother inlaw told me to do this if my daughter ever got constipated. make sure u hav something down that u dont mind throwing away or washing lay baby on that n stick a lil bit of a thermometer in the lil guys butt n the poop should come out. i know its nasty n idk if it works or not but anything to help the lil guy.
    haileysmommy017

Answer by haileysmommy017 at 5:48 AM on Oct. 18, 2008

• Karo syrup is very bad for infants, as is honey. They both have spores that in an infant can cause botulism, and the companies CAN NOT guarentee that there product is free of the spores. I used a themometer put vasoline on it and took his temp rectally, as soon as I pulled it out poop came with it!
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 3:14 AM on Oct. 19, 2008