How many nights a week should a soccer practice be?

Last year our 13 year old played soccer, hubby is coach, I'm assistant, and we have another assistant.
We've coached for the last 3 years but we want to change it up, maybe, now that most of the kids will be going to high school soon.
here was our schedule last year:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday Practice 5:30-8p
Saturday practice: 10a-1p

1st 30 min = warm up stretch
30 min of running, build stamina
last was scrimmaging and technique
so they are tired by the end...how should I tweak the schedule? or is it good as is?
we play state wide, not local, so this is a very competitive team.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Personally I think it is too much. I think the max it should be is 3 days a week. But that me. Maybe you could do 4 days one week then skip the wednesday the following week...

Good Luck! Its great that your involved!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 8:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• That's to much for that age... two days, three max would be better I would think....Your warm up is to long.. a lap or two... then stretch.... 15-20 minutes tops. I'd spend the majority of the time on skills vs stamina... if you do skills drills, run back, no slacking, you build stamina that way. Since Soccer is a game of sprints then a portion of the practice should be devoted to that... but break those up over hte course of the practice... it's more productive. Having worked at the High School level for 12 years now, and I can tell you that High School coaches would rather the kids come on with good solid skills over anything else!!!! Only a small portion, maybe 20 minutes should be scrimmage.... b/c that's where they pick up the bad habits. Practice should be 2 hours tops!! after that you get muscle fatigue and again that's when you pick up bad habits and are more susceptible to injury and over use conditions!!
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Sounds good if you have a competitive team, But i'd try to make it every other day.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 7:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If everyone on your team is happy then it's fine. I would think it was to much going into high school but then again I have never been big on sports taking up more time than study and family. I may have to change my mind at some point.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Ohhhh and ALWAYS work core strengthening in there somewhere... (being very careful to protect their low backs!!) that will improve speed, etc!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• stamina and skill goes hand in hand with soccer...have you seen a soccer field? A game is a total 70minutes of playing with a 5 min break
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010