Political rhetoric translation

A program has a budget of $500k. They ask for a budget of $600k next year. Congress approves a budget of $550k. Did congress increase spending by $50k or cut the department's budget by $50k? Does your answer change based on which party controls congress? (be honest)

A program has a budgetary shortfall of $1 million. If taxes increased 3% they'd have a million extra, if they did nothing or decreased taxes by 2%, they'd still be $1 million short and would have to cut their budget. If congress refuses to raise taxes, is the tax rate costing us $1 million dollars, or are we simply spending $1 million we don't have. Again, does the party controlling congress change your answer?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i am no CFO but budgetary considerations for one program for an organization that runs many programs are interdependent. e.g. assumptions are made regarding income from certain resources and circumstances may change - at that time priorities and spending need to be re-organized. for example a small church has a budget that includes several salaries, new addition, new programs, etc. and assumes the congregation will contribute a certain amount but they have an unsuccessful campaign, or a storm damages building and equipment beyond insurance limits or there is a huge deductible. what suffers? everything equally, cut a staff member, eliminate a program? there are too many variables to plan for and decisions need to be remade depending on the circumstances and priorities at the time. although certain parties may have different priorities it is not just that simple...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• To question 1: I think they gained $50k since most budgets require approval to be increased. No partisanship needed; it's a math question.

To question 2: I think we would be spending money we don't have. The tax rate being left alone would prevent us from having the money in the program. It become partisan when you consider the program, why it exists, if the monies are used properly, yadda yadda yadda.

For the record, I am unaffiliated, left leaning and fiscally moderate.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 8:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Of course the definitions of tax cuts, spending cuts, and increases are 100% dependent on who is doing what. You can see that every day.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Depends on how you spin it!!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm a cheap girl no matter who's in Congress. Especially with record setting deficits, I don't care what you call it, spending money we don't have is stupid.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I could care less what party it is... raising taxes is NOT going to help anyone but the government. We don't have the $$!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have stated how they use that to claim the other party cut spending a number of times on here. Did you take your meds NP? you asked a sensible question.

I don't care which party does it. It is low handed.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• A request budget is merely a proposal. So in scenario 1, it's stlil a budget increase no matter who is in charge.

I'm afraid I'm having trouble following scenario 2, but if I understand you... if Congress refuses to raise taxes then the budget is short no matter who is in charge.

Math is math and the numbers don't care about poltical party.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2010