Pooing Q

ok so I tear and bleed everytime I poo, my rear hurts all the time for about the whole day then the next day when I poo, it hurts again and I bleed again...what can I do to make it stop...I'm on pre-natals since I just had my baby and I was told to continue them, what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• stool softener - ask your doctor which ones are safe if you are breastfeeding.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You have too much iron in your diet...eat more fiber and use stool softeners like once a week for a while...I had the same problem. Drinking juice and eating lots of veggies helps, too.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Eat more fibre --a LOT more fibre, particularly soluable fibre like from oatmeal and strawberries-- drink a lot more water and make sure your diet has enough healthy fat in it.

It's probably constipation from the iron supplements --try a nutrition store for more bio-available (more expensive) iron supplement that means you don't have to take 10-100 times as much as your body can absorb. Take your iron supplement with something high in vitamin C, like an orange or a potato...vitamin C really helps absorption.

Also, it might be worthwhile to find out if your bloodwork indicates a need for iron supplementation --mine never did, I have ridiculously high iron (I donate blood regularly) and taking iron supplements when they're not necessary is dangerous. Overdosing on iron is not safe for you or your baby.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• You have an anal fissure. If you're doctor okays it, take stool softeners so they it's not re-tearing. You have to keep your poop as soft as possible or it'll take forever to heal. After I had my son I had a horrible fissure that literally took months to heal. The pain was SOOO bad. My doctor said that your hormones and pregnancy make those muscles weak, and you're more prone to tearing while pregnant and after giving birth. Another thing you might want to do, is before you go to the bathroom, rub some vaseline down there. It makes the skin less likely to be traumatized again. I know, this this embarrassing and gross, and I'm tempted to post anon, but I won't, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• take stool softeners daily. its the iron in the pills
    sparklebug86

Answer by sparklebug86 at 10:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010