whats your opinion on prison inmates getting a college degree?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I guess it depends. If they are there for life then it's kind of a waste. If they will be getting out, it will be hard enough for them to find a job being ex-cons and if we as a society don't want them returning to a life of crime they need some way to earn a living when they get out. They gotta do something.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think it is good, at least they are doing something useful with their time, however even with a degree I think it would be hard for them to actually get hired for that position due to their record.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 8:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm pretty sure they cannot get a PELL Grant, so I'm not sure how they would pay for it. If they can somehow swing the funding and do it all online, I say more power to them! Many of them are going to be released someday, and it will benefit everyone if they are able to find employment.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I support it. Maybe it will help them stay out of jail later. Most people who go to jail return later for repeat offenses.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think it is a great idea. There ought to be one thing in prison that doesn't make a person worse than they were before. Most people who get out of prison end up right back in because they have learned nothing that would make them positive members of society. At least with a degree they would be less likely to create more victims from crimes related to them trying to make money.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 8:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• In a variety of states a degree means nothing if you have a felony on your adult record, of course there are some employers who will never investigate that simply because it costs money or they don't care
    but all in all
    most degrees are useless unless you have the appropriate license attached to it. Like you don't just get a PhD in Psychology and become a therapist, you have to get finger printed for licensing and prisons are for felons, felony is an automatic disqualification.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think its a good idea..they have the time to better themselves and it keeps them occupied and hopefully out of trouble while in prison. Its an opportunity that life may not have offered them outside of those walls.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They aren't doing anything else so giving them a head start for life outside the box is a good idea. Not every person who goes into jail comes out as the same 'bad' person. People can change and if they are willing to change and want to be productive members of society I wish them nothing but the best.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my aunt is currenty in a all womens prison. She is one that is on good behaviour and has trained to be an EMT..she now goes out with the firefighters in this very small town to all of their calls every weekend because of her good behaviour.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I feel its the best thing they could do for themselves. People mess up, it happens, and everyone has the right to a second chance at life. My husband is actually a convicted felon and is now attending college... it was really one of the last options he had because its so hard to get a job in this town with a felony. People do make mistakes, and people do change.
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 8:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010