I know someone who is thinking about getting an abortion....

(NOT ME!) and can't decide what to do. She asked my advice and I told her it's up to her. Then I heard her mom tell her she should get an abortion. She was trying to pursuade her, while her other friend and her father were telling her she has to keep it. She's 25, not a teenager! She's confused now about what to do? Are you pro life or pro choice? Do you think they should be telling her what to do based on their beliefs as opposed to what's best for her?

mom-de-uno

Asked by mom-de-uno at 8:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think she should do what's best for her, not what's best for someone else. I think options should be pointed out to her, and then she should be supported. Not pushed into something. She will end up resenting whoever pushed her into making a decision that she really didn't want to make.

As for myself, I am pro-life/pro-choice. My suggestion to you is just as I said above. Point out her options, or help her research her options. Don't push her towards any of them. She needs to make her own decisions, but she needs support. If she knows she has love and support, she is more likely to make better decisions. Just be kind and accepting.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i had an abortion once. never again. it was my fault not the innocent baby i killed. i would tell her how she would feel knowing that she killed an innocent life. not to mention that she would have to live with her choice and later she may regret it. i can't stop her or convince you to convince her not to do it. all i can say that it seems like an easy out but it's not. it only causes other problems and ache in your heart that never goes away when you know it was something only you could of prevented. she should do what is best for the baby not for religious beliefs or for her. there is always the option of adoption where the baby still has it's life. it may be hard but not as hard as the decision to kill it. i have been in both shoes. i wish i had given that baby up for adoption not just killed it. i still think of it and that was almost 17 yrs ago. i still cry over it as well. i have no words to express my regret! cont
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I used to be pro-choice until I googled abortion and the pictures I seen where unbelievable and so sad! I would tell your friend to google abortions and inform herself of what happens during an abortion. It is her life and her choice ultimatly but I wonder how many people would have still had abortions knowing that the contents in the basin between their legs contained arms and legs of the baby they once carried.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• especially if she really doesn't want to do this. it will only haunt her.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• She should get all the facts on adoption, abortion and raising a child and go from there... it will be, ultimately, her choice. But, to have all of the information before her may help in her decision..
    also, she needs to get the info from an unbiased source. Some info sites and the like will work hard to put one of the three choices in a bad light.. when that would not be the case at all.
    I am pro choice.. all for someone making the choice for themselves... I would never tell someone to do any specific thing.. just lend an ear and possibly some comfort.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 8:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i don't believe in abortion that is not caused by incest or rape or endangers the mother. I'd be encouraging her to carry to term.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would inform her of other options such as adoption as well as encourage her to look into assistance programs for women in her situation. Ultimately it is HER decision though. Chances are her father will help her out should she decide to keep it and that's pretty good incentive.
    Oh and I'm pro-choice.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would be telling her she should look at her options in keeping it, I am pro life, I could never not tell someone that I think they need to keep it, I would consider it my duty, especially if she asked for advice. Why does she want an abortion instead of adoption? Everyone already knows about the pregnancy, it shouldnt interupt her life that much, all she has to do to save a life is make it through nine months, less by now, and then she can know that that baby is ok, there are plenty of people that will take it, and if it comes down to it maybe she will fall in love and keep it herself. The alternative, kill the baby, sounds like she is unsure about it, so there is a good chance that it will cause regret in her later on. I think if someone asks you, you should tell them how you really feel, so that you can help them make the right choice.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 8:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I am very much pro-life and if it was my friend I would make my point of view clear but not judgmental and support her. If she chose an abortion I would never chastise her for it I would be there for her when she fell apart because it can't be an easy choice, though I can imagine how it could seem so at the time. None should be pushed on any direction they should be presented with their options and if they are ask for an opinion the it is okay to give one as long as it is dine in kindness.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:33 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I'm pro life. I would talk to her find out her reasons and give her my honest opinion (which would be pro life), she's the one who gets the ulitmate decision, if she shouldn't make this decision based on what others want. I think the main reason for her asking is not she is going to be persuaded, more that she is scared and wants someone to listen to her fears, she probably already knows what she wants to do, but has some doubts if it's the right choice
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010