did you have a biter? what did you do to stop it?

happy2bmom25

Asked by happy2bmom25 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly? I bit her back...not hard and not enough to leave a mark but enough to cause discomfort. She never bit again. Most will disagree with this but it worked for me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• give them an apple...people are for biting~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Bit him back. He never bit again. This was after all other discipline attempts failed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i just scream every time he does it and he crys it surprises me when he does it then just tell him not to bite me he doesnt do it very often
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Be vigilant. Making sure your child doesn't bite inappropriate things (bleach bottles, other people, the cat --although the cat's reaction will probably teach him everything he needs to know about that) is your responsibility, not his. Be close enough to him to sweep him up and away from whatever he's heading toward with his mouth, and never leave him alone with other children.

Biting a child back is abuse. Children do not, however many times it's shouted by 'experts', learn from being in pain --he'll just learn you're violent. He will never connect why his arm hurts with what he did. Like you having to give me your computer because you got caught speeding --it just doesn't make sense.

Be the adult in the room --see what kinds of things provoke him to biting and stop them before it does, be on hand to supervise him properly and warn other parents that he's prone to it so they can watch their own child's safety
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son went through a stage where he was a huge biter, he is 18 months, is just starting to get over it, I did everything people listed above none of it worked, I even put hot sauce in his mouth, had him bite down on a bar of soap, etc. I hated doing it, but was so sick of him hurting his sister I wanted to try anything. Nothing worked. He was biting his sister a lot. I think what helped is paying more attention when he is getting frustrated, and helping him to tell me what is going on, instead of resorting to biting. He would bite his sister because he was frustrated and had no other way of experssing it because he doesnt really talk. Or he is just growing out of a stage, either way I am glad it is over!
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 8:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• When ever my son would bite me , someone else, or something he had no business biting. I would first tell him to stop and would give him a teething ring(they are very handy to keep around especially at tha biting stage) to bite on. It would usually get him to stop for a minute or two before doing something else but if he continued biting I would take him to his corner while explaining he's not suppose to bite people or what ever he was biting. Eventually he learned that biting was unexceptable to mommy and he stopped biting people and things. Now when he's frustrated and he wants to bite something he grabs a teething ring or his stuffed animal...
    mz.mommi2b

Answer by mz.mommi2b at 9:06 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I am with the first poster on this
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• bite them back an say if it hurt u then it hurts me also
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 3:36 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• so, i read up a little on this. my son is not teething, he is 2 1/2. he is biting when he is play fighting. it is not out of anger or frustration. i bit him back today. i know they say violence teaches violence...

now Linda,do you think I should just tell the boys no more rough housing? it seems like a pretty natural thing for my boys anyhow. i don't know what is normal when there are 3 brothers close in age!

thank you ladies so much for your answers and your honesty too!
    happy2bmom25

Comment by happy2bmom25 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010