What advice would you give a mom starting in- home childcare?

I only wanted to take in one other child, other than my own, to help supplement our income.. but I got two offers. Both mothers are in need, and live in my apartment complex, so I said yes to both. I have a 2 1/2 yr old, and a 1 yr old... and the children I'm taking in are also 2 1/2 and 1. Needless to say, I'm nervous. Have any of you ladies done in home childcare? How do I keep the children from wrecking my home??

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 4:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

• I actually just finished all my classes for state certification. You get some good tips from the classes and also the people that have been in it for a while. Def. get contracts made up. I have been screwed a few times by people that didn't want to pay. Get the kids on the same schedule. Example-Breakfast- 8am Snack time 10am Lunch time-12pm Nap time-1230 and so on. That way you are not in the kitchen all day. I have mostly older kids, so it's a bit easier, but they always want to eat at different times. I just started telling them that I'm only cooking once. This is when we eat. It's much easier that way. And don't take on more kids than you can handle. You will just be exhausted and miserable. Money is important, but your sanity is more so! Good luck.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 11:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I took care of a four month old when my child was eight months old and it was living hell. I really hope you have a better experience than I did. Rylie was never happy unless she was in the swing, she was used to having her Momma's full attention all day, which I couldn't give her. I'm also the first to admit that I'm much better with my own kids than anyone else's - I would never have started taking care of her if my husband hadn't been pressuring me to help out with the income side of things. Hopefully seeing as the children you have are older, you won't have as much trouble.
    Cheryn

Answer by Cheryn at 4:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• join the Home Daycare Providers group....more advice than you can imagine!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Routine! It may be hard at first, but if you put all four babies on a routine for play time, nap time, snack time, etc. it will go easier. For one, it lets them know what to expect. Even though they can't tell time, their little bodies will adjust, so that everyone is hungry and sleepy at the same time. I was in a similar situation, and it was a nightmare when 1 wanted a nap, 2 wanted to play, but 3 was hungry.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I know this isn't your question, but you should draw up some contracts so you don't get screwed regarding payment. Just throwing that out there. I used to watch three different kids on different days of the week. I had a 2 1/2 year old on Wednesdays and Sundays and then I had a 2 year old and a 3 1/2 year old on Tuesdays and Thursdays. At the time my SS was almost 4. ROUTINE!!! it helps.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Contract. Draw yourself up a contract. And have the parents initial the imortant points. Things like your sick policy for children, drop off and pick up times, pay...I can't stress that one enough. And go through it with them there at your home. Make sure to ask for a copy of shot records and any allergies. I would ask for the weeks pay or the days pay before they drop off the children. If you present yourself in a business but also loving fashion to your parents all should be well. Just get with a daycare providers group and they will help you.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Switch over to all natural cleaners. The kids won't be able to get poisoned, and people won't get sick as much, since they won't be breathing chemicals. Also, since you'll be working with families, you can enroll them as customers, too and make extra $. See my website for info.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 5:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Umm amway or something along that line, careful
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My old babysitter had to come up with a page of rules after being in it for awhile. She had to add she did not want someone picking up a child if they had alcohol on their breath. She made the parent sign the rules before leaving their child. You add more as you see fit.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• That is a good one to add pupmom, I would have never considered that. very good
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2008