how many people can be in the delivery room when giving birth?

mauricellaf

Asked by mauricellaf at 8:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it depends on the hospital, the doctor and the situation. My OB told me "As long as I can move my elbows, I don't care how many people you have in there - but they have to know if things get complicated or I can't hear, everyone goes but Daddy." I ended up with four people in the room with me (DH, my mom, my sister and one of my dearest friends) and FIFTEEN in the hallway right outside the room. Seriously!!! :)
    ginger-mart

Answer by ginger-mart at 8:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Depends on circumstances and hospitals. At my hospital... if there are no complications and its vaginal... up to 3 poeple. If there is complications generally only the father and one other person upon request at the doctors approval. But if it is a c section... only one person (generally the father) is allowed... UNLESS it is an emergency and they have to put you completely under... then no one is allowed. While you are in labor and u have no complications usually u can have serveral people in the room... just not when u actually get ready to deliver. Hope this helps
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 8:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Depends on the hospital. They allowed my mom and DH of course. I had a large room and they allowed as many as I wanted to be there prior to hard labor.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think it depends on the hospital. Ask your ob at your next appointment..if they are not sure ask if there is someone you can call to find out.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:40 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• We had a limit of 2 (I believe) and our nurses were really great about asking who we wanted in there or not. I think they would have allowed another if I had requested, but I only wanted DH.
    clairewait

Answer by clairewait at 8:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My hospital does not limit the number as long as the people are not bothering the mom to be. The nurse that gave us the tour of the labor delivery unit told us that one lady had a huge family complete with a mariachi band. lol!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it depends on the hospital, when my son was born I had my DH, his mom, my mom, his grandma and his little sister in the room. They were just sittlng there talking, the only one's that were paying attention right when my son was born were my mom, my Dh and my MIL. And then we had several friends stop by soon afterwards, When my daughter was born it was just my DH and his mom but the room was smaller and we were in a different town. A lot of hospitals give you a tour before the due date so I would ask then or ask your OB if they don't have one.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010