When did you or will you discuss your birth plan with your doctor?

This is my third child, we moved and live far away from everything so I have to find a new doctor, where we used to live I had a midwife, which I loved, they totally understood how I wanted a natural birth, and nothing to interfere. I am worried that a doctor will not be as accepting. But I really want this birth to go the way I want it to, I want minimal fetal monitoring, no iv, and obviously no drugs, I am thinking I should discuss this right away, just in case they dont agree with it. Is it to upfront to talk about it the first apointment, and has anyone had a doctor that has let them do it completely naturally?

-LovingMamma-

Asked by -LovingMamma- at 8:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would the minute I had a doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would talk about it at the first appointment. I would also hire a doula to help you stick to the birth plan since you already have some reservations about the doctor.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I discussed it 4 weeks before delivery, 3 days before and the day of. Just to make sure we were on the same page.... *note* NOTHING on my birth plan was followed... they actually threw it away at the hospital. ANd told me they know best and will do what they need to keep the baby and me safe and healthy :(
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• The problem is that there is nothing like that where we are, we are out in the middle of nowhere, there are no doulas or midwives in the area unfortunatly. Im just concerned about a doctor at all instead of my midwives whom I loved.
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• momma alie, thats what I am totally worried about, that would be awful. I will have to talk about it the first apointment so I can go talk to the doctors in the other town nearby.
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Remember, they can't make you do anything you don't want to.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I too wanted to deliver 100% NATURAL...FREE FROM ALL!

I went to a "practice" od OB/GYN's where there was 13 doctors...I told every one I saw how i wanted things...They didnt really have much of a problem...I went into labor with my qst son (5 yrs ago 2mar) and got a Dr I had never met. The nurse came to give me an iv..i said...NOPE...The dr agreed as long as I knew that if something went wrong I would get one then...I agreed. I ended up bleeding too much after and had to get two shots in my leg to stop it...Other than that IT WAS WONDERFUL! I absolutely LOVED my delivery...

13 days ago i went into labor with my second son...The Dr insisted I get an iv because of my sons Heart rate dropping when I had a contraction..I agreed. Since it ket happening they said i needed Fluids. I agreed. Everything was going great untill then. I became SO SICK! I was shaky...Cold...felt like i was going to throw up...I was unable to relax
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• CONTINUATION----I was unable to relax through the contractions....I was ready to get drugs..And that is NOT LIKE ME! I said I wanted drugs....Dr said he had to check me...I was 9 1/2 CM...I pushed him out literally 5 minutes later. After going home and starting to breastfeed...My left breast became hard....My left foot and leg were EXTREMELY swollen...Com to find out...I had a reaction to the IV fluids and this was the cause of all of my problems! I was pissed. On top of it all...The IV Fluids didnt help with my sons heartrate...
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• So definately talk to them about it NOW! Just in case you choose to switch Dr's. It is your child, your body, YOUR BIRTH...You make the choices!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Thank you, all, yes I will be discussing it immideatly, and I will be a pain in the butt about it. I am determined to make this a great birth like my first two were. (of course as long as nothing serious goes wrong) what a horrible storry tiger, I didnt even know that there were such horrible reactions like that to the regular iv fluids!
    -LovingMamma-

Comment by -LovingMamma- (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010