Why did you get married?

This is for married couples only, please. Truthful answers would be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Love and partnership. I now have a companion. We both wanted children and finally the last reason we got married (and the reason we chose to get married so quickly) the Army. :) The Army doesn't respect girlfriends, only wives.
    cait030507

Answer by cait030507 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Honestly, to have children. We were quite happy living as a couple without the paper to say we were committed. We needed medical help with conceiving, so we had to get married for the insurance to cover it.

Even though we didn't get married for the usual reasons, we are very happy we did.

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I was married and he was my one and only at the time. I was with him from the age of 14 and married him when I was 21. I did love him but I knew I was not happy with him, we were so different. I ended up marrying him out of comfort not out of romance and compatibility. We dovorced seven years later.

I am am getting married again and this time it is for pure compatibility, love, partnership, and respect. I am having a child with him but won't marry just for that reason. This time I know it is for good.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Don't know why this article is under Politics and Current Events? haha...So, why did I get married? Hummm....well as a little girl I've always hoped that I would, but I remember crying in my sister's arms that no man would marry me because I was ugly and that if I did get married I would have ugly babies!! Not true at all.....such a child thought. I guess I got married because that's what I wanted. I gave up a modeling career because of him, I was so into him and he was everything (at the time) a woman would want in a husband, hard worker, had a home, car and was well established and mature. I think it was in my blood to be married. 6kids later and 22 years married.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• So that I could get on his insurance. Really!! They don't recognize domestic partnership in Michigan. We had been living together for five years, had two children, had a great relationship. Our commitment to each other was just as solid without that silly piece of paper. Nothing has changed other than now I can get his medical insurance BY LAW. That is totally the only reason we got married.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Lately I've been asking myself that very question....WHY DID I GET MARRIED?....if I only knew what I know now!
    Anonymous

• Because I love my husband and marriage is the next logical step in my opinion. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage. Lol.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I was compelled to and cannot completely explain. I never in my life wanted to be married and successfully avoided it for 39 years (well more like 21 or so), although I almost got talked into it. I felt that my husband was my true match and I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him and vice versa. I never did really feel that way about anyone before. We have shared life goals and also wanted our commitment to each other to be legal and public and recognized.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• well I can assure you it had nothing to do with any deity.

I married my husband because I love him, and for the stability that families enjoy due to the many automatic legal benefits which come with legal marriage.

and yes, I'm FOR gay marriage.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• honestly... because my mother made me... I was 15, pregant and she was and still is this religious nut, who would not let me live with the father of my baby unless we were married. Stupid to put a religious stance on me living with him after getting pregnant out of wedlock! Im glad we married though, I just wanted a real wedding... Not some preacher, me, husband, my mom and his dad marriage. It sucked. Every girl should have their dream wedding and my mother took that from me because of her STUPID BELIEVES! God what a grrrr! Anyways, its obvious I havent forgiven her for that. I guess I probably should.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 17, 2008