Does your infant sleep on their stomach or back?

"They" say only to put children on their backs to sleep now-a-days...But before it was the opposite...

What do you choose?

What if your child wont sleep on their back...only on your chest/shoulder or their belly???

tiger_tatted1

Asked by tiger_tatted1 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took into consideration what "They" said, but what I did in reality was based on my motherly instinct and my child's wants/needs. For my son he wanted to be on his side, so I positioned him to be on his side. For my daughter she likes sleeping on her stomach, so I let her sleep on her stomach. I pay attention to any calls for concern and if there are any I do what I can to remedy it before something serious happens. However, in the case of my kids they've all been perfectly fine sleeping the way that's comfortable for them.

Yes, listen to what the "Experts" say, but follow your motherly instinct and the wants/needs of your child. In the end it's them that is important, not another case study that supposedly proved some grand awakening in the parenting world.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I did both ... whatever helped him sleep!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son sleeps on his sides, back, and tummy. He rolls around so there's no controlling him while he is sleeping.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:26 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• when they were itty bitty, I would lay them on their back, when they can roll over its up to them. I would let them sleep on their tummy during the day sometimes just.. Because I guess. When they did roll over I know I use to roll them back, but now my little one can pull himself up and all that good stuff, so I think tummy sleeping is fair game for him now. I still lay them on their back because thats the easiest way to lay them, but they are rolled on their sides in seconds.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It depends how old they are. If your child can roll themselves over, both ways, I see no problem with them sleeping on their tummy, if there are no additional blankets to cause issues. Ever since our son could flip himself over, he won't sleep on his back anymore.

However, if the baby can't roll over, they need to sleep on their backs. And if you want to transition the baby from sleeping on you to in the crib, let the baby fall asleep on you, then move them into their crib while they are still asleep. Soon enough, when they wake up in their crib, they'll learn that it's a safe, happy place for them.
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 9:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Mine sleeps on her stomache. I actually have an open question just like this if you want to see some of the answers I got. This is a very controversial topic lol
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• on her back but she is six months old and still falls asleep best thru the night in her bouncy seat, liek those low, wire-type sling seats that may vibrate also but idont use the vibrate since she was a newborn. she didnt liek her pack n play because it is too hard and flat... with the bouncy seat, her head can drain from teething well, YES kids can teethe starting at 4 months!! fingers in mouth mean hunger, then mean teething if its all the time. So she sleeps in her bouncy seat on top of a folded fleece towel. IN this way, a baby can roll the blanket in their tiny hands and soothe themselves. they need help soothign at early months til sleeping cvause the world is big and cold and dark! then toward 1 year old they can crib it.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• newborns definitelyt naturally LIKE sleeping against someone so they may fall asleep breatsfeeding or on someones chest. my newborn sometimes actually slept on her side well when first brn and in her bassinet. then the bouncy seat ON a fleece blanket is the deal! for naps and nights. a little fleece blanket on top of her for warmth also is great liek a charm
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my baby sleeps on her stomach with her butt up in the air she will not lay on her back at all i don't know why she dose that
    mommyof2766

Answer by mommyof2766 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• How ever she wanted. On my chest on her stomach for the first several days/ weeks. Then on her tummy next to me. Then her side. Now her back or side. We always co sleep so I feel pretty safe.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010