What's a good remedy for taking the itch out of poison ivy?

ceallaigh

Asked by ceallaigh at 9:27 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• The best thing we have found is a product called Technu. It's an over the counter product and it is available at Walmart. They also make a wash that you can use if you've been exposed to poison ivy and it actually will help keep it from breaking out. Our youngest son is terribly allergic to poison ivy so we have used this stuff for a long time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My husband gets poison ivy soooo bad that he needs a prescription when it starts spreading to his ears which has happened this past summer and last summer. Some things he tries is calamine lotion, I had to literally cover him from head to toe. He also gets a stick of deodorant and put it on the poison ivy to help dry it out. And lastly he would stand in the shower scratch open the sores and pour bleach on it until he can't take the burning anymore then wash it off, I myself would not try that. Luckly thoughbi have never got poison ivy.
    MelSwim7

Answer by MelSwim7 at 9:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• oh gosh, my hubby juts had poison oak.. um his dr, said to use cortizone creme. if it gets infected form scratching to ge the antibiotic bactrim and if if there is a break out of hives to take prednisone
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010