how do i get him to listen?

ok i have an 18 month old and everytime i tell him no he laugh's at me and i will tell him no over and over again and he just continues doing it , or if i spank his hand for doing something bad he hits me or throws his toys at me.

what should i do to get him to listen to me and to understand what the word no means?

hotmomma768

Asked by hotmomma768 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have to be firm with them. They are still young and want to push you to your limit. If he does something wrong, tell him he will go to the naughty spot if he does not stop. Find somewhere he can sit for a min. or two. Always follow through with it or they will not listen at all. When he's done with the naughty spot just explain what he did was wrong and why he should not do it. I hope it helps.
    tazzyt19

Answer by tazzyt19 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Consistency! Thats the number one thing to remember when discipling a child. I know some days it seems like you've been getting onto him all day, so you start to let things slide. This will just confuse him even more. And sometimes the best discipline is nothing at all. Sometimes they just want to get your attention so they act out. If you don't give them any attention they will realize that their actions aren't working. Just make sure to give them lots of positive attention! Even for the little things they do. That will make them want to do the good things more, and the bad things less.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i agree both with me above but also say the whole thats not being a good boy they can get it more that way but yea
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 5:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• First, you need to understand that most young boys have poor hearing in one ear. This is scientific fact - and they usually grow out of it. So he may not actually be hearing you.

So, get down on his eye level. Take his face in your hands and look him in the eye (gently of course!). And clearly say "No, you may not ____". Direct him to a different activity - a similar one that is allowed is best. Don't jump on the sofa, jump on the floor.

If he does it again, put him in time out.
    If he throws toys or hits you, put him in time out.

I suggest you don't slap his hands. It teaches him that hitting is OK when you are angry or upset or when you are the bigger person. I've also found it just makes me more angry and upset than I was before. (Yep, been there, tried that!)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Oh... and try to say "Yes" a lot! Whenever he asks for something, let's you know in any way that he wants or needs something, repeat his request in proper english and say "YES!".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• Rule number one:Be consistent. Rule number two: Go back and read rule number one. Stick to your guns and don't back down!!
    Anonymous

• Oh boy you have about 18 years to go, if you get the right anwser email me I'm still trying to figure that anwser out and mine are 30,27 and 14. Actually all my grands mind me, so I guess you will have to wait, lol, good luck to ya!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 11:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2008