colic??

I cannot get my 3 week old to do anything. Since about 4:30pm it is now 8:30pm here he's been fussy, crying for periods of time, won't nurse, I even tried giving him a bottle and he only took 2oz of it. I've rocked him, gave him a pacifier, changed his diaper. My husband is holding him now and I am going to try giving him a bath. Is this colic??? He is not nonstop crying just little crying jags. Help???

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 9:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try reading the book "the happiest baby on the block. " swaddle your baby tightly, make some type of loud white noise (shhhhh-ing or static on the tv, your hair dryer, the vacuum), and rock your baby. Give him something to suck on when he calms a little- a pacifier, finger, nurse him. You can also try a little Gripe Water which you can buy at any pharmacy.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Also- hang in there! He might just be having a bad day. Maybe a bit gassy. I hope things are better tomorrow! You are covering all the bases! :)
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 9:46 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• we have to give newborns a chance. three weeks out of a tight warm liquid womb... and we expect them to relax and enjoy this dry, big world...aww! my daughter was exactly like that and grew out of it by 3 months old graqually. my husband was quite mean/impatient/insensitive about it. So it is a combination of yes maybe some GAS which MYLICON infant gas drops REALLY did the trick I am a RN nurse's daughter and she confirmed it... try mylicon drops with a dropper, for gas. gas bubbles REALLY hurt a newborn and we cant tell!! colic is only nonstop crying. ALSO my daughter ALWAYS fussed at 4-6 p.m. then stopped. they say infants can FEEL the tension or days end and dinnermakign and activity in the house when people come home, so thats when they act up. I confirmed this with the hospital she was born at. ALSO breastfed babies are WAY HUNGRIER MORE OFTEN because breast milk absorbs and digests so easily and fast. just Soothe him.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• my newborn hated swaddling and it hoguht she woudl liek it so it is an individual thing of course.. what worked is rocking, feeding on demand (this is important) my pediatrician said we cannot expect a schedule so early!! more like at 3-4 months to start. ONLY at six months is my baby daughter now sleeping Looong thru the night. it is a temporary growing and adjusting phase--dont let it get to you guys and just give lots of tender gentle love to the newborn....! so sweet i loved every phase even the tough ones. i saw it as an adventure to see when she coudl sleep. it gets better but you will miss their teeny weenynessnow so much. they are so helpless and learnign everythign from the way you even breathe and touch them. they are more aware than you realize, so dont fight or yell, they are aware of it (studies show)
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It's not considered colic unless it is happening over several days of the week over several weeks of time. My older son had colic and he cried or fussed from 11pm to 2am every single night from the time he was about 3 weeks old until he was like 2 months old. It was insane. It was like a switch was flipped at 11pm. He would just start wailing and nothing we did comforted him. The best I could do was bounce him on my knee and that would quiet the crying down to a whimper with periodic screaming. I used to have to lock myself in the bathroom and let him scream in the other room so I didn't lose it.
    It could just be a bad night (my 2mo is having a bad day and has been crying and fussing all day unless I'm rocking him in his carseat) but if it continues to happen every night or several nights in a week I'd contact your doctor. There usually isn't much you can do for colic except wait it out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• he should be fine just keep an eye on him and talk softly to him with a smile.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 12:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2010