Does this medication affect breastmilk?

does concerta pass into the breastmilk?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Health

• Ask a pharmacist

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• don't ask a pharmacist...they will always tell you not to take anything while breastfeeding so they don't get in any sort of trouble. call your local hospital and ask to speak to the lactation consultant...she will know best. i was sick once when breastfeeding and my OB told me i had to stop breastfeeding for a week while I was on this medicine...the pharmacist told me the same thing...i called the hospital and the LC was so mad that the OB and the pharmacist had told me not to breastfeed while on that med...she had looked it up in her book and said it was safe.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• BTW...I just reread my answer and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm saying that Concerta is what I was taking...I don't even remember the name of the med I had to take at that point. Best of luck to you!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• There is a book called Medication and Mother's Milk by Dr. Hale that would have the info you are looking for in it. That's the book most LCs use anyway. I know there used to be a nursing group on here and some of the mom's had that book and they would look stuff up for you. Maybe you could ask in this section if anyone has it?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Check the website for Concerta or the insert that comes from the pharmacy. It should say in there whether it is safe or not. You could also try www.kellymom.com. That is my go to site for anything breastfeeding related.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010