Why are not more medications recycled?

I used to work as a nurse in the nursing home. Once a week I had to go through 52 patients medications and throw out medications that were still good, packaged, but no longer prescribed. Or the patient died, left, or went to the hospital.

I had to flush all these medications down a toilet and put them into our water supply. For 52 patients, weekly, I was dumping about a blender (to guestimate size amount) full of good medications away.

What a huge waste? Why cannot these medications be returned and reused or even better yet why cannot they be given to programs that provide free prescriptions to those who need them?

I know that in our area there may be a service that comes maybe once a year to our local pharmacy to pick up medications that are no longer in use to be recycled, but many of us cannot safely store extra meds like that

What do you know or think?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Health

• i never knew anything like this could actually be done but if you say it could because you've been around this and know a little about it then yah why not im sure it'll halp with the economy save money. but i would like this question to be answered if they cant do that why not? cause i really dont know and recycling something like this sounds like a good idea to me.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree! There's so many people struggling to pay for their meds, why not recycle if they're safe?
    msmikkle

Answer by msmikkle at 6:58 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• it isn't worth the effort, safety or liability for what you are throwing away. it seems like a waste but in reality, it is the cheapest method.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I believe the Pharmecutical (sp?) businesses would not like this idea. This industry is huge and drugs make this world go round. LOL. Although it is a great idea, there is liability to think about. There are many bad people in this world and perhaps they could tamper with the meds....so everyone feels much safer to get it straight from the Drug store..all though costly.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2008