My sons scared to play with other kids

Alexander has no problem playing with family members but when I take him to the park hes afraid of playing around other kids.What should I do? Has this happen with anyone elses child

KLUVZA

Asked by KLUVZA at 10:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First off, how old is he? Perhaps he just need some time and your encouragement to reach out to other kids.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Since you asked this in the 1-2 year old section I am guessing he is in that age range. At that age they don't really play "with" each other as much as they play "beside" each other. Both my kids were very shy until about age 3-4 years old (youngest still is), but y 5 year old is now VERY outgoing and my 3.5 year old is getting much better. I just kept taking them to the park and classes at the YMCA etc and exposing them to that situation. They were fine to do as they pleased and I never forced them to do anything with other kids. When they were ready they did what they wanted to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Thanx well I guess I'm doing the right thing hes 2 going on 3 in January I take him to gymberee n the park Lets say he sees someone going to the slide he'll run the other way even though hes about to go down the slide lol I guess I just have to wait it seems like hell grow out of it
    KLUVZA

Comment by KLUVZA (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010