what can i feed my four month old

she gets cereal and only applesauce and pears...everytime i eat she wants to eat with me is it okay to start her with the stage 1 meals and veggies and can i feed her baby food sweet potatoes and baby food bannas

amiyamom

Asked by amiyamom at 5:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Id stick to what your doing. They say the earlier you give a baby certain foods the higher the chances are for an allergy. If you do start early i wouldnt worry too much but def stay away from meats. Just stick to fruits for now. Just remember too that bananas can really bind you up and may not be great for her digestion right now. I started my daugher young too but its really not necessary.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• At 4 months I started rice cereal. A little before 5 months I started veggies. They
    'actually say to start veggies first before fruit so the child doesn't get dependant on sweet foods. (Start with sweet potatoes, carrots, squash etc and then do the others.) My son actually loved green beans even though they are so strong tasting. Now that he's eating table foods they are still his favorite!

Somewhere in the 5th month I started fruits. Around 6 months I started getting him the jarred meats.

Very Important: My Dr. said to make sure that when you start fruits and veggies you still mix them in with the cereal at least 2 meals a day. Theydon't have enough nutritional value on thier own and the cereals are fortified with vitamins that the baby still needs!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• The best thing to do, is consult her pediatrician. My son is a few days shy of 5 months and he eats oatmeal and rice cereal. He also eats green beans, acorn squash, butternut squash, peas, sweet potatos, apples, avocados, bananas, peaches, and pears. Every baby is different, her dr will know when she is ready. Also, I make all of my son's baby food. It is very easy, and much cheaper than jars. A great website with recipes and also good tips on what to start and when is http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/. I do buy the rice cereal, I found it difficult to make.
    drojohn

Answer by drojohn at 6:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• lol...

regardless of whether you give your child sweet foods or not we ALL have naturally sweet tooths...why? because fruit is our natural source of nutrients along with greens.

If she is interested I would stick with fruits like melon or banana..I wouldnt give her anything else. She probably isnt eating a lot anyway so I would stick with that. Not to mention shes only 4 months.
    Anonymous

• Fruits and greens contain ALL the nutrients you need...so whoever told you that rubbish about fruits not containing enough nutrients is an idiot...drs dont know anything about nutrition.

My son only eats fruit and greens. He is ten months. He was just playing with a lettuce earlier and eating it as well as throwing it about...

Anyway if I give him spinach (which is quite tricky for him currently) I mix it with peaches in a smoothie. He loves this.

Just keep giving fruits.
    Anonymous

• Before six months? Nothing but breastmilk. Duh.
    Anonymous

• Yeah Duh!!!!!!! Babies this age aren't ready for babie foods!!!!
    Anonymous

• William is 4 months old and has been on cereal since 2months. Now i am starting him on green beans, than I will give him peas, and the rest of the green veggies 1 new food a week so I can watch for allergies, than I will give him the orange veggies BUT NOT CARROTS (google blue baby syndrom) than fruits. I want him to like his veggies before likeing the sweet fruits.
    BTW I was on cereal at 2 months and "solid" foods by 3 months (as I am sure most of us were) and I am fine. I get so mad when people tell you your not doing it right, if you don't like the fact that she wants to give her child solids at 4 months than ignore the question and move on DUH!!!
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 3:07 AM on Oct. 19, 2008