Having a few drinks more than once a week (Nursing)

I usually have some drinks when my 5 month old goes to sleep. He goes to bed at 9 and wake up around 2-3 for a little 1 minute feeding and goes right back to sleep.
I usually just have a couple coolers. Is it horrible do do it more than 2 times a week? What could happen to my little one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• he'll get drunk! lay off the booze all together or formula feed if you can't restrain yourself.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I wouldnt risk it when I'm nursing, they say its ok when u r pregnant, but the alcohol would still b in your system 2-3 hrs later.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 10:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I always felt like drinking more then once or twice a week was too much when nursing. I usually drank once a week about 2 beers especially when my little one was exclusively nursing (before 6 months). After she nursed less and less I wasn't so concerned about it, but if I knew I was going to nurse I would wait at least 2 hours per drink.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• One drink = ok. A few drinks? That's a bit much for a 5 month old. My son is 20 months old and I still rarely have more than one drink in a sitting. Alcohol does get filtered through the liver, and your baby has a tiny little liver. Not to mention, what happens if your baby has an emergency and you are too drunk to handle it?
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 10:24 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• they have alcohol test strips that you can use, before you feed him you just put a drop of milk on the strip it reads really fast and will tell u weather of not ur milk is okay to drink.. and alcohol can stay in the milk for a good while even the next morning it will be in the milk some moms have to pump alot before feeding there baby again,GET THE STRIPS better safe then sorry my dear!
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• If you are okay ( I mean REALLY OKAY) to drive, you are okay to nurse.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Excerpt from the above link.
    •Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) does not appear to be harmful to the nursing baby.
    * Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• just pump a bunch of good milk and keep it in the freezer it last forever!!! its not a CRIME to drink and be a mommy!!! you just have to be safe about it! and YES u can get drunk and be a mommy.. i can drink when i want because i have a wonder dh who understand having a couple of coolers is no big deal.. i drink maybe once a month is not less.. but dont feel bad for drinking here and there just as long as your taking care of ur crap get the test strips and to wait two hours after u drink is not long enough!
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 10:29 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• alcohol is a solvant....it is damaging to all tissue..your baby has a brain that is trying to develop and the chemical does effect that tissue...

what is so hard that you need to drink while nursing?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:38 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• it is generally safe to drink and nurse. maybe try switching to red wine and club soda to make a cooler style beverage. the red wine will help with the let down of your milk and relax you. and won't harm the baby. my doctor recommended this.
    Hollea

Answer by Hollea at 11:17 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think having a couple of drinks at night while nursing is fine.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 12:56 AM on Sep. 16, 2010