how long do you have to be married to be awarded alimony after divorce.

Ive been married for 9 years and 3 months and I want to know if I get divorced would he have to pay alimony to me or is it a minimum of 10 years exactly, or how does that work, in the state of New Jersey, or is it 10 years for at the minimum that I can recieve his SSI if he was no longer able to assist me or was deceased.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• i'm not sure i was only married for 3 yrs and got alimony but only for 2 yrs. i know that in order to get part of his social security that it has to be 10 yrs. i would wait. it's not like you have that long to wait.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• here in CO it's 5
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It was 10 years for me in the state of Nebraska and I had only been married for 8 but my attorney asked for it anyways saying you probably wont get it because its usually only awarded for 10 years or more but my ex didnt show up for the proceedings and I was awarded alimony for 2 years o if I got married before it would stop. I think the final judgement comes from the judge.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• In Pa it's 5 years.......My DH has an ex wife that asked for alimony......they were married a little over 5 years. She did not get it, she had a part time job and her kids were in daycare all day. The judge told her to go to work full time if she needed more money. She was getting 55% of my DH's paycheck already for child support........he needed to be able to live also.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 11:01 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My mom got 2 years of alimony after divorcing my dad (25 years of marriage). She was a SAH for 20 years. My dad gave her the house and $2000 a month. My dad made more than enough to do that though, and SHOULD have since he cheated and caused the divorce. In some cases a woman DESERVES alimony for a little while imo. This was 10 years ago. My mom is working and re married now a days.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I agree with erinwhitt.
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 11:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i hate alimony. i don't care what the reasons are for divorce. you're a grown-up, you need to take care of yourself. child support, absolutely. but no one should have to pay to take care of you when a marriage ends.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 10:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010