My Dr wants to use cytotec to ripen my cervix and induce labor.... any advice?

I will be 41 weeks pregnant when I get induced. I asked to be induced if the baby wasnt coming by then because in my family we have a history of major problems with late babies. everything looks fine and the baby is ready... but my cervix isnt opening at all. I have read some on Cytotec.... and I don't have any of the conditions that are supossed to make it dangerous. Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me how their induction went when they had it because I wanted a natural labor and am a little nervous about this... especially since step 2 is pitocin... which I wanted to avoid. Thanks for the info.

DLo2010

Asked by DLo2010 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• NO NO NO!! It doesn't matter what the circumstances Cytotec should NOT be used for induction. They are many other safer options if an induction is necessary.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Get a new doctor and report this one.
    :-(

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i have no idea about the med... but i wanted to suggest that eating fresh pineapple is supposed to help ripen the cervix and also can bring on contractions. A good friend of mine went into labor this way. Not saying its 100 percent true or anything...just maybe worth a try lol. Good luck with everything!
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had my cervix softened and pitocin twice... I can't remember what they used for the cervix though, sorry. Being induced with pitocin wasn't bad... IDK why people freak out about it personally b/c my experience with it was just fine! Good Luck Mom!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• thanks for the info... glad to hear about a good pitocin experience... the reason Im freaked about it is that everything you read says that it makes contractions more painful... last longer and more frequent... which can make the baby seem to be in distress because the placenta doesn't have enough time to regenerate its oxygen supply... so then you are more likely to need more help... like a csection.... thats why I wanted to avoid it
    DLo2010

Comment by DLo2010 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I had Cytotec, and the contractions were pretty intense (though this was my first pregnancy, so I don't have a basis for comparison). Reading what I have about it, I see now how one intervention lead to another, and how I had some of the labor complications I did, even though everything in my pregnancy had been PERFECT. I ended up with an emergency c-section. If you can avoid it, I would. But Pit won't work if your cervix won't open. I would try all the other ways to naturally induce labor (NO CASTOR OIL or BLUE OR BLACK COHOSH!!! VERY DANGEROUS!!)- sex, walking, pineapple, raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation, spicy food, etc. Good luck! I have a friend who was due the 11th, so she's trying to get things kick-started, too.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Research.. and the answer should be pretty simple! :) Here is something to read: Cytotec: Dangerous Experiment

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I have a question just to clarify, when you say your family has a history of problems with late babies do you mean that there have been problems with the babies that have come late or that your family has a history of healthy babies that just come "late"?
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• NO!!!!!!!!!
    From the manufacturer of that drug:

"Do not take misoprostol to prevent ulcers if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Misoprostol may cause miscarriages, premature labor, or birth defects.

...is used to prevent ulcers in people who take certain arthritis or pain medicines, including aspirin, that can cause ulcers. It protects the stomach lining and decreases stomach acid secretion."

Watch Pregnant in America.

People freak out because women and babies have DIED from this drug, which isn't even made for this purpose.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Oh and yes I was induced. I believe i was given cytotec (tiny pill), then they broke my water. then i was given pitocen.
    contractions suddenly came on. I mean one minute we where all resting then ----BAM!!!!!------ Contractions rolled in 1 after another... I (unwanted) got a drug in my iv that made me drunk/confused.. but i felt all the pain.. it wore off & i was natural the rest of my labor..

Sadly I was very uninformed, not knowing anything since it was my first go-round.. If i would have researched it, I would have refused the cytotec..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010