Do you consider this war to be over?

Do you think we have finished our objectives in both Iraq and Afghan.?
Do you think we have "won" this war?
Do you think our troops should all come home?
What do you think will happen over there once our guys do leave?

Why/why not?

JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Asked by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The "wars" in the Middle East will continue in some form or another until the level of sophistication of the average inhabitant reaches a certain point where they recognize the need to get along in order to prosper. That time will only be reached when they develop tolerance for other peoples religious and political beliefs and have systems in place to vote for representative government that includes restrictions on power. In other words, it is not likely to happen to any area with such diverse and ancient histories...at least for any foreseeable future with or without our troop presence. Our United States is blessed not only because of our unique form of government but because it was implemented in a confined, underpopulated area that allowed our system to mature. Until then, our military presence in one form or another will be essential to our safety.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 3:25 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• no
    no
    yes
    it will go back to the way it was before we invaded

to tired to explain
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:03 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• no
    no
    yes
    Who knows what will happen.

I think something will happen again, its just a matter of time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• ((Okay, I had to finish my never-ending paper for school before I could put my own input.))
    This war is def. not over and the chances of it ever actually being over with a decent ending seem only like a farietale...The objectives are far from over in both countries. Given the number of troops we have already lost, I chuck this war as a "loss". The number will just continue to rise as no solutions to the problems there appear. As much as I would love for our soldiers to come home, this is NOT an option. Leaving these areas (I.E. Iraq) is only allowing the enemy, to re-group, re-stragize (sp?), and get stronger. If we leave things will get 10x worse. And IMO they will want to show us "they are not weak or gone" and possibly attack us again...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 12:20 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• What got me wondering these things was an article I just read in the Army Times today. There is some retired RESERVE major trying to get cuts in our veterans benifiits, military pay, and health care!! THIS HASS ME LIVID!! How dare them... Our guys EARN every bit of that!! Saying how they shouldn't be able to retire after only 20 years.. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Sure maybe some MOS's where people sit behind desks all day can still go, but what about our Infrantry, Rangers, Etc... THEY are the ones out there doing the things we don't want to know or imagine!! After 20 years they are broke!! They can't physically handle it anymore.. My husband is only 25 and already needs surgery on his shoulder and knee from his deployment. How are they NOT earning their retirement benifits?? And enlisted does NOT make as much money as a lot of civilan think... cont...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My personal experinces for an example... we can't afford daycare.. with both of us working its was $125 a week! Needless to say, I quit my job... which was hard to keep anyway... my husband works ccrraazzzyyy hours and i can't get a set work sched. because of that.. so we are stuck on one income... we have to cut costs however we can....no cable (even though i hardly watch it anyway).. we always buy generic everything...things of that sort.. I can't believe they want to take MORE $$ for us... Then it got me thinking..our soldiers are STILL VERY MUCH over there risking and LOSING their lives and these people want to take what they have EARNED?? Do people think this war is over?? That are soldiers aren't doing anything over there?!?!!
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Comment by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Gen Patreus says the war in Afghanistan will last at least another DECADE! This is what I heard on the news tonight. A DECADE!
    I can't stand it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Of course it's not over..

it isn't over until America fully succeeds..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• no
    no
    yes
    it will go back to the way it was before
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 16, 2010