The school thinks my son had a social anxiety disorder and ocd?

The school thinks my 9yr old son has a social anxiety disorder and ocd. They say he dose not play with any other kids at school even when they begs to play with him. He's rather just play alone. He dose not do his work unless he's in a small setting and trys to hide under his desk when he gets nervous. And they think he has ocd cause he has to have thing the same way all the time. Im gonna take him to the doctor as soon as I get him on medicade but till then what can I do to help him?

AmberNicoley

Asked by AmberNicoley at 11:07 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• well, i dont know about an anxiety disorder-he could just be shy. have you tried big playdates for him? or taking him to a playground, talking to some of the other moms and introducing your son to their kids? but the ocd thing could be an issue-and it'd be good to get him help now, rather than later. good luck!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:09 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Who thinks he has it? Did you notice any of these signs that they are talking about?
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:10 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I say your the parent you decide, don't let society decide for you .
    luvintaters

Answer by luvintaters at 11:12 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• His teachers. And yes but I thought he was just super shy. I know when people will try to talk to him he clams up and starts to act goofy.
    AmberNicoley

Comment by AmberNicoley (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would see what the doctor thinks. He really is the only one that can say for sure. What are the teachers doing to help him for now?
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 11:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• see dr and try more activities to bring him out his shell
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:22 AM on Sep. 26, 2010