How did you calm yourself for your planned C-section?

I have anxiety that is pretty well under control...unless I have a plane ride or surgery in the near future. Next wednesday I have my scheduled c-section and I am starting to get more and more scared. My first c-section was emergency and after 18 hours of labor I really didn't care if they used their bare hands to get that baby out. But now I know I will be laying on a table while they cut me open, take the baby out and sew me back up. I know it's the only way to get him out, but I'm scared of surgery complications, on top of normal hope-the-baby-is-okay stuff. How did you mentally prepare yourself to not be scared going into the surgery, i.e. not having a panic attack on the table?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 11:11 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• have u looked into ICAN

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Eek! I can't imagine because I had my son naturally, but c-sections seem so scary because you're awake. However, my mom had me by c-section and she said it was totally fine, she felt some tugging but there was nothing to it and she was honestly too drugged up to care. Lol. I would just remember that they do these things all the time and are professionals, lol. And at the end you'll have your new baby!! Good luck!!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:14 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• They can give you something to calm your nerves when you get your IV put in. I highly suggest discussing this with you OB and then you can plan ahead for anti-anxiety meds.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I definitely agree with kaylan...talk to your OB! In fact, better yet, talk with the anesthesiologist before your surgery too. My first was an emergency c-section after about 14 hours of labor, and the surgery went terribly wrong (long story, but it had to do with the anesthesia). As a result, I went to a different hospital with my second, but was still was terrified to have another c-section. I told the nurses who were prepping me for surgery, and they sent the anesthesiologist in to talk with me personally beforehand. I really felt better after he listened to my fears, and he assured me that he could give me some anti-anxiety meds if necessary. It turns out he was so confident and caring during the whole thing, I didn't need any extra meds at all, but it was so nice to know they were available!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Take a deep breath Mama. Remind yourself that your doctor know's what he is doing and has done this many times before. You will do fine.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 11:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Alice...Thank you. My doctor knows I'm nervous and just keeps reassuring me that they will take great care of me. My anesthesiologist for my first one was my hero. Probably because he was the one who took the pain away after 18 hours, but also he walked me though every step.
    sunshine58103

Comment by sunshine58103 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yeah, if your anxiety gets to be too much during surgery you can ask for a mild sedative. I have anxiety, too, and when I was having my 4th my 4th my husband was out in the waiting room with the other kids so I was alone and having a hard time controlling it. The anesthesiologist kept asking if I wanted a sedative, lol.
    This last time (with my 5th) I just refused to let myself think of anything. I blanked it all out and wasn't really nervous at all. And it went absolutely smoothly. It was the easiest and quickest of my 5 c-sections and the recover went rather well, too (a few hiccups but I was back to myself by the end of the 2nd week).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I can totally relate. This is my third pregnancy and we have had to start talking about having a C-Section. I take meds for anxiety anyway and I am terrified. I have been told that the best thing I can do is get some anti anxiety meds, especailly because I have tachycardia anyway. I will be talking to the Doctors and Anestesiologist a week or two ahead of time about getting some meds to help with it. I am also going to pray and meditate. Good Luck Mama.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:53 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would like to know the same thing... my schedualed c section is coming up in 12 days..... Really nervous... first time around was fine... not so much now
    momma_alie20

Answer by momma_alie20 at 3:29 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Planned are way better then emergency ones. But I can't image anyone not being nervous. I would just say try not to fous on that when you find yourself thinking of it turn you thinking of what will happen when the new baby gets here n
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 4:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2010