when is a good time to start teaching your child to talk?

my son will be one next month. he says the usual baby words like dada,mama,and no. when should i try teaching him words?

xavierlogan09

Asked by xavierlogan09 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've just always taught my son words. I'd just point to stuff and say it. And they say you shouldn't let your kid watch a lot of tv...but some of those shows really did help him out, lol. When he got so he was trying to say certain words, I would hold out whatever he was asking for until he annunciated more clearly. Worked for us!

The big thing is to not use "baby talk" if you want him to speak clearly. They can't differentiate between "fun cute words" and "real words."

My grandmother is forever asking my son if he wants "wawa." He's 2 1/2, I think you can say "water" now!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:19 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• He will pick up words without you teaching him. Talk to him all the time, that is the best way for him to learn.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:18 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i didnt have to try to teach dd anything. i just talked to her all the time about anything and everything. now when we are in public and people ask me how old she is they are amazed at how well she talks for a 3 year old. the problem is getting her to be quiet for 5 minutes!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• He'll pick them up without you teaching him, really, but you can start whenever. I started trying to get my daughter to say things when she was barely babbling lol. It worked, though. She said "cat" a few times when she was 7 or 8 months old, plus a few other small words. She's almost 2 now and STILL hasn't said "I love you," though :(
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• when she started saying no .. i started to help her identify things. if she was hungry i'd keep asking her if she wanted food .. snacks .. etc. Now she's almost 16 months and talking up a storm.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 11:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I think that that just happens naturally when you talk to them and point things out to them, they just pick it up on their own, and they all do it in their own time. My daughter had a huge vocabulary by the time she was one, my son is 18 months and can hardly say any words.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:23 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Start now everyday is a chance to learn.
    luvintaters

Answer by luvintaters at 11:25 PM on Sep. 15, 2010