benedryl and my 18 month old.

Has anyone given it to a toddler? My LO got a bug bite on his ankle tonight, it has swelled his ankle and foot. Would you give a little benedryl for the reaction he is having? No it's not a medical emergency. So no need to run to the er. If still swollen in the morning I'll take him to his DR. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have. The next bite you really need to watch..
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My son is 24 months old and his doctor allows him to take half the recommended dose or benedryl. Im not sure about 18 months though, do you know the nurse line? They could tell you what dose to give him.
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 11:32 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• My sons doctor had me give him benadryl for bug bites & rashes ( poison oak) it was a lower dose like fairy wings said it was 1/2 the dose.
    free2beeme39

Answer by free2beeme39 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't give it to him for A bug bite. My daughter's doctor put her on benedryl because she sat in a pile of leaves that turned out to be a fire ant pile. She has over a hundred bites from her waist down. There really isn't anything the doctor can do unless he is having breathing trouble. Unless it is a spider bite it'll be gone in a day or two, good luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i do..i do chewable cause they are easier to take
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 3:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i would ask your Dr. before you do i would call them first and if they want you to come in i would. i had to give some to my daughter at that age but i cannot remember what for or how much i gave her but it helped very quickly when she did take it.
    we got her the store brand which is what they prescribed for her and it worked fine.
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Try putting some .5% hydrocortisone cream (not ointment) on the bite. I have given my daughter Benadryl for an allergic reaction, but it was under the advise of a doctor and it was only 3/4 of a teaspoon. Maybe call the nurse hotline on the back of your insurance card.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:00 PM on Sep. 16, 2010