Should I splurge on a new phone?

Pros: Unlimited everything except talk.
only 25 dollars a month
Its really really cool
I havent really bought myself anything lately

Cons: I dont really "need" it
It def could distract me at work
even though the money isnt going to take anything away from my family I could def start my christmas shopping with it ($100 for the phone and the 1st month)

I mean I feel like I deserve it and its extra money but its a total frivolous purchase. I already have a phone but its strictly talk and text only. it has no camera or web. I can totally afford the 25 dollars a month it will cast me to keep it up its just the upfront cost. what do you think? Should I just suck it up and buy it for myself after christmas?

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 11:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• sometimes i do lol you should
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yes do it
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:36 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• do you have a separate camera? i hardly ever use the camera on my phone, although i do use the internet. but when i'm at work i never have my phone on me, always keep it in my locker. i mean, multimedia phones are nice, but there are definitely reasons why you WOULDN'T want to buy them. after a while, companies slowly start to increase the bill. verizon finds some new random charge to slam me with monthly. its getting ridiculous.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 11:37 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i would say yes. I had the same situation. I really wanted a new phone but I felt like the extra money every month could be better spent on something else. I ended up going ahead and doing it and I am so glad that I did. I feel like it's one thing that I have gotten that is really mine. And as silly as it sounds it does make my life a little easier because of all the apps I can get on it. Grocery list apps and stuff like that.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 11:39 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I would say splurge & buy yourself the phone....We (women) tend to think about splurging on ourselves last.
    free2beeme39

Answer by free2beeme39 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• do it im sure you could sell your phone to cover some of the costs. but i know how you feel, i so desperately want a new ipod, i had to sell my old ipod for gas money about 2 years ago. but even with all the stuff i could do with an ipod touch, it would be 100% a frivolous purchase because i have a blackberry. it does exactly the same damn cr@p! but the ipod probably has a better camera and dd is only 8 mo, i need a good camera for the holidays. still contemplating if its worth the extra $100, or if i should just get a plain ole camera.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 1:06 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I would say it depends on two things. 1. Is it a reliable phone network. 2. Is is a reliable phone?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• i probably wouldn't buy it...but it sounds like a pretty good deal!
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 3:59 AM on Sep. 18, 2010

• So I thank all of you for your valuable input. I went to the store and instead of buying it outright I was able to put it and my kids christmas gifts in layaway together. That way the phone is not taking priority over the kids christmas gifts and I still get to have a new toy in 8 weeks!!
    SaturnsMom

Comment by SaturnsMom (original poster) at 4:50 AM on Sep. 18, 2010