Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about custody

I have 3 kids by 2 "men". We have never been to court over custody but i am the custodial parent of all 3 kids and they live with me. Am i able to move out of state? (Florida) without going to court.

Answer Question

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 11:35 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 11 (597 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • i wish i knew!! i live in florida now and have custody of my 2 kids and soo wanna move out of state..but i never found out the rules about it. but if you've never been to court.. what can the "men" say about it??

    Answer by proudmommy690 at 11:52 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

  • I sure as heck wont tell them untill im in the moving truck crossing the state line lol. I know that IF i were to tell them before hand that they would file a temporary whatever to stop me. They both are orderd to pay child support but thats it. I live in hernando county as does my sons father, and my daughters father lives in hillsborough county where i lived last year. (about an hour apart)

    theres nothing written anywhere that actually saids i cant move.

    Or maybe someone knows who i should call to find out?

    Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • just because you are the physical custodial parent does not mean that you are automatically the LEGAL custodial parent.

    Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

  • Look at all your legal documents. If there isn't anything stating custody or rules on you moving, you will probably be okay, but in my divorce agreement, it says that I have to give him written notice if I'm going to move out of state. Also whether or not it's in your agreement, the father(s) can go to court to make you stay or even require you to return if the judge grants it. It might be better to tell them and try to get them to agree.

    Answer by jillybean703 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.