How long does chili last?

I've had chili in the refrigerator since last Saturday.Is it still good?

nikkiJ86

Asked by nikkiJ86 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Food & Drink

• The general rule for any refrigerated leftovers is 3 days :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Id toss it!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If it smells ok and you bring it to a boil for a few min's it's probably Ok. It always depends on what food your trying to save and how long it's been in the fridge. But chilli thats tomato based will last about 10 days as a left over due to the acid content in the tomatos.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If it's tomato based, the acid will help to keep it from growing anything...
    Me personally, I would have frozen it or I would toss it now...I have had food poisoning, so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to things like that. Nothing is in my fridge longer than 3 days. If it's something I am sure will get eaten at some point, I'll freeze it, but that isn't very often. Chili just happens to be one of the things I will freeze because it always gets eaten.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Just to clarify:

I was just saying what I, personally, would do. I don't think you'd have any problems with it if you are sure to bring it to boiling temperature.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• i agree that if it smells good, its ok. i had chilli that was a week old. we are all alive...and i also freeze my chilli. you can put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. it thaws out great...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 7:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I'd toss it. Max 4 days....
    tuttiepiemomma

Answer by tuttiepiemomma at 9:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Clarify: unless it's frozen!
    tuttiepiemomma