Do you think there should more understanding and special rules for special need kids?

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 11:41 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think there should be some special considerations made, but not so many that it causes other kids harm. Special needs or not if a kid breaks another kids bone than thy need to be taken out of kindergarten until they are in better control.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Sorry but honestly no. OK in some situations and conditions yes. However my dd goes to school with a boy who has ad/hd which I didn't even know was considered special needs. She gets beat by him, every one does, but he gets a no no we don't do that. My dd was put in detention for telling the teacher no. Yet he gets a no no. The other day he broke a kids ankle and got to stand by the teacher the rest of recess. This is Kindergarten mind you.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Special rules? No. More understanding? yes!! There are still so many people that are just ignorant when it comes to things like Autism. I cannot tell you how many times I have been told.."Well he can't be autistic. "they" have a certian look" or something similar. Or been told I need to just grow up, be a Mom, and spank my "bad" child. I wish people were a bit more understanding.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 7:06 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• That just depends, what do you consider special needs?
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am sorry that you ar in a stiuation that you hav to worry about this. I know the school I am in they do allow for autistic children to have on on one if they are in need of it. We hav had a large number of parents with autistic kids move into our district bcause of how much they work with special needs kids. I think thy get funds from state meicaid and special shool funds to do this for them. I hope you and your son get the hlp needed.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• But seems like alot of people don't understand bipolar, or ad/hd or even autism in child and they can't always control themselves should have a out,

OK autistic I get. However adhd bull. My dh has it and he can control himself, as for bipolar another one I have it and I can control myself. The parents give the excuses it's not his fault that is just how he is. Well I am sorry but my dd has a condition and if she hits her side to hard it could kill her or pop the cysts on her kidney. I have already told the school and the parents that I usually do not wish to interfere with others parenting, but if my child gets hurt again I am going to beat the kid then the parents. It is not an excuse get him under control, in a special school, or home school his ass, but stop allowing him the excuse.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My SS is severely autistic and "mainstreamed" into a regular school. He's disruptive, hits other kids, has to routinely be removed from the classroom, and even with a full-time aid manages to upset at least one kid a day. It's not fair to the other kids, it's not fair to the teacher who is trying to run a classroom. I think there is too much "understanding" at least in his school. He's in Middle School, and they actually have a goal of him moving to the high school on his IEP. He should be in a special school where the classrooms are smaller and he gets treated with more discipline. IMO, it's wrong that he is allowed to disrupt (and occasionally hurt) 30 other kids because he can't control himself. It makes me angry, and I worry every day that he's going to seriously hurt someone. The school gets a lot of grant money for having him in their district.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Now as for your situation your kid seriously can not understand or control him self that is a totally different thing. I can and would understand that, but the finding every disorder and saying they can not control it pisses me off I know they can.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• On a side note op do you try sign language? I have seen that really help autistic kids. It gives them a way to tell youhow mad they are and why. It does not fix it 100% but it can help a lot.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• In some instances. However, I also think that lowered standards of behavior can be a disservice to a child.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:32 PM on Sep. 16, 2010