having such a hard time nursing

i need some encouragement here. I am having such a hard time breastfeeding. My DS is 3 weeks old and we just cannot get the hang of this. I still am putting him to my breast and he fusses. He turns away and tries to get his hands. I feel like I am forcing him to eat. Also my right nipple hurts so bad when he nurses because I think it is cracked. I've been using Lasinoh creme and it helps a little. I literally am scared to nurse him on that side because of the pain but I know I have too. I am also getting little sharp stabbing pains next to my right nipple :( My supply is getting better which is a good thing but now he doesnt want to nurse. We tried giving him a bottle of breastmilk and he took 4 oz of that just fine. My lactation consultant says thats because he is smart and knows he has to work for the milk to come out of my breast and he doesnt with a bottle. I'm to the point of giving up. I'm so tired & not enjoying nursing

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:42 PM on Sep. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 6wks and yes it's hard in the beginning!!! I get so frustrated with it some days it makes me cry!!! You are not alone! hang in there!!!!!! . My son pulls away from the nipple when he is really tired and fighting sleep. (hope that helps) good luck and remember your doing the best thing for your baby!!!!! stick with it as long as you can!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 11:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• join the breastfeeding moms group here at cafe mom. fussiness is common! hang in there. you don;t need bottles, they aren't helping!
    visit www.kellymom.com

it gets better, don't give up. http://www.cafemom.com/group/325
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Keep in touch with your lactation consultant. If you are putting cream on it, perhaps it is the taste? Otherwise he is just being smart like she said. Keep at it....it isnt always easy but you will be sooooo pleased with yourself once you get it down.
    My nipples were SO sore at first...
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:26 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Bottles will only make the situation worse. Just continue to put baby to breast; he will not starve himself. Like pp said head on over to the breastfeeding group
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:27 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Your LC is correct. He doesn't want to work for it.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group. We can help you through this. Here;;s the good s... at three weeks he's VERY normal! (Know the TRUE purpose of bonding? Infant self defense, so you don't EAT him out of frustration!)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my daughter is breast feed and bottle fed she prefers the breast but i dont produce enough and she gets frustrated and cries because only 3 oz come out and she drinks 5-6 oz its frustrating but keep trying the first 6 weeks are the most crucial
    pookersmommy88

Answer by pookersmommy88 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• "my daughter is breast feed and bottle fed she prefers the breast but i dont produce enough and she gets frustrated and cries because only 3 oz come out and she drinks 5-6 oz its frustrating but keep trying the first 6 weeks are the most crucial "

How would you know how much is coming out? And you can't compare how much formula they will take to how much they need when they nurse. Frustrated is good... she needs to get frustrated to increase your supply. Dump the bottles and spend a few days just nursing her.

OP, keep working at it... he's still very young and it can take time! No more bottles!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I almost gave up!! It was awful! I couldn't get my baby girl to latch on correctly from the beginning. My nipple would bleed, even scab to the point where I'd be in tears nursing. I just started rubbing cream and my breastmilk on my nipples, it helped but I think as time goes on your nipples will get tougher and it will get much easier. Remember your baby is till young, it needs to learn as do you. I say never mix feedings as in breast and bottle. I had to, I was lucky she didn't get confused or prefer the bottle. But I have heard they will start liking the bottle because they don't have to work for it. My baby is now 5 months old and I am still nursing, she mostly gets formula tough as I am barely making any milk. I hope this helps. Stick in there it is worth the bond and nutrition for your baby!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 2:00 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Like all the other ladies said, do not give any more bottles at this point.
    It sounds like your latch is not good on the right side. When you try latching, DO NOT FLINCH. It moves the nipple in the wrong place. Make sure your baby's neck is streatched out and mouth open wide. Do not try latching if his chin is resting on his neck. It might be a good idea to hold him so that his back is either straight or arched, not curved in at all.
    And remember, DO NOT FLINCH. Seriously, once you get the latch right on that side, your pain will go away within a day! :)
    Do you have any friends or even aquaintances who have successfully nursed? Meaning that they exclusively nursed for at least 6 months? They would be your best resource at this point. Also, contact La Leche Legue. Google it. They will come to your house and help you for an emergency like this.

And DON'T GIVE UP. All the learning is worth it. You are doing great! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 11:17 PM on Sep. 16, 2010