i have severe headaches, any ideas on pain relief?

ive been having severe headaches almost daily for many years now. my doctor thinks that it could be my iud causing them, but i dont want to remove iud. everytime ive gone to a less effective birth control i become pregnant, and that just isnt an option right now. neither is abstinence. part of my headaches is tension related, i know that much. im interested in anything that may provide pain relief, including herbal remedies, reiki, ANYTHING!

jessiecrafty1

Asked by jessiecrafty1 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Health

• How would your IUD cause headaches, exactly?
    Anonymous

• i have a hormonal iud, as it releases hormones inside my body, its a mirena iud
    jessiecrafty1

Answer by jessiecrafty1 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• have you had a CT scan, MRI, MRA to rule out serious causes? If so, try acupunture, chiropractic and massage.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I think it would be worth a try to drink plenty of water. Try it for 24 hours and see if it makes a difference. Good luck and hope you feel better soon :)
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 7:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I feel your pain. I started having these horrible headaches towards the back of my head before I had the Mirena put in, then after they got a lot worse. I also refuse to have it taken out. The only thing that I have found that helps to get rid of them is sleep. Even just laying down and closing my eyes with a blanket or pillow over them helps a lot. If either of those aren't an option, try ice. Good luck.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I suffer from migraines and so far, hands down, the best pain reliever is Excedrin Severe Headache or Tension Headache.
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 1:25 AM on Oct. 18, 2008