Is nursing a hard program?

I have a BA and masters degree, but want to look into nursing. How fast can I get done, and can I work while in the program? Also what is the better nursing degree RN or LPN? I'm setting up an appt. soon to have my transcripts evaluated. What are the potential wages really like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

• Well, definately the RN is better. It is tough. Lots of clinicals and such, but if you already have a degree I am sure you are aware of the time it takes to pursue a degree. I think an RN program usually is a four year program. Good money to be made.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Definitely go for the RN, BSN if you can. LPN is limited in opportunity, advancement and income. It isn't easy but you have already earned a college degree so you know how it goes with classes and exams. The thing with nursing is you spend days of clinical in the hospital. It may be hard to work full time but you probably could work part time, especially if you do some online courses and/or work in a hospital. It's a flexible, in demand and admirable career. I have been an RN for over twenty five years and enjoyed many different roles, populations, clincial experiences and work shifts. Depends where you live what the earning potential is. I would say 30 dollars an hour, less as a graduate or outside of the hospital, more if you are a manager or work shifts in demand. There is usually the potential for OT if you want more cash. Good luck to you.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I am a LPN and in a few more months will have my four year RN. As a LPN, I work as a physicians substitute and medical supervisor doing head to toe physical exams to determine eligibility into various FDA programs. My job also includes other more business related tasks. I have my own cushy office and normal working hours. I make much more than most RN's do, however, I also have two other degrees.

I will not get a pay raise once I get my RN license. There are many LPN to RN programs out there and in most RN programs you have an opportunity after your first year to take the LPN exam so you can work as a nurse while you are in school finishing the RN program. There are 2, 3, and 4 year RN programs.

All nursing programs are difficult and by comparison to my other degrees, it is much more difficult to obtain and pass. Nursing is a rewarding career though and you have many prospects for employment.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 8:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• RN is better. The main things people have problems with are science, math, and advanced reading skills. Since you already have a Masters, I assume you can read at a college level so that won't be a problem. That just leaves science and math, and you can get help with those if you need it. Go for it!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• If you already have a Bachelors look at nearby colleges for a "fast track" to RN -- around here you can complete your BSN in 15 or 16 months if you already have a bachelors. Several colleges offer it here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Nurses (RN) make around 50k starting -- BUT what a lot of nurses do is they work 12 hour shifts x 3 days a week = 36 hours and get paid for full time. Then, they are free to work somewhere else as well on opposite days, or contract for side income. Because of the demand there are other fringe benefits - sign on bonuses, tuition reimbursement, medical/dental, 401k... Several of my aunts are nurses and they love the flexibility of the shifts they can work, always more work available, and family friendly environment.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 8:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• LPN = Little Play Nurse
    RN = Real Nurse

Someone might get offended by that but I always found it funny.
    Anonymous