What are some great ways to help daddy bond with a newborn of about 4 mos.?

S0CalM0mma0503

Asked by S0CalM0mma0503 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• To be quite frank...... there is a problem if mom needs to initiate bonding between father and child.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I believe that but I am trying because we did not encounter this problem with our first. He was not there at the birth and was not physically involved until about 2 months ago.
    S0CalM0mma0503

Comment by S0CalM0mma0503 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Tell him you need to run an errand, and leave the baby alone with him for about a hour... then next week try 2 hours...and so on.. let him get comfortable with being alone with the baby...bcuz some men are afraid to be left alone with newborns..bcuz they dont know what to do if the baby becomes cranky...and not to mention changing the diapers...LOL...GL
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 12:37 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• The father needs to step up and spend time with the baby my fiance isn't spending much time with our 3 and a half month old it bothers me to but I keep telling him he needs to spend more time with him and less time with the computer.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 12:51 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I've been here. Up until about a month in a half ago my Fiance wasn't really helping out or involving himself with our daughter who is now 5 months old. He's get on the computer, watch TV, go fishing, shooting, etc..anything not to have to help. But one day I talked to him about it and told him that I was conserned. I also did as TezMom said to do. I went for a errand and slowly it got longer and eventually things got better. Now he even volenteers to hold her so that I can eat or even take a nap. He was also scared of hurting her cause she was tiny. He expected something different from fatherhood that what reality really was. Even during the day, ask him to hold her so you can go do something in the house (chores or just go hide out in the bedroom), that way there is time when you are there also. I hope that helps in some way, you aren't alone. Things will get better the older she gets and the more she plays!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 1:54 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Try getting him to do bath time! Babies are usually always happy and full of smiles then. I am happy that it sounds like he is trying. Good luck
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 3:24 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my dh wasn't involved much with our dd for almost the first year (we had some issues). i put him in charge of her bathing (for the most part) and he decided he would take her in the shower with him (this started around 2 months of age). she is 26 months old, and to this day they love their showers together. i hear them singing and laughing and dancing, it's awesome :) i think that was the start of their bonding.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:11 AM on Sep. 16, 2010