arranged marriage

Anyone had, is in or know of anyone who has had an arranged marriage?

How did it work out?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 12:32 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• It's that illegal here in the US?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• *Isn't
    mommy_of_two388

• My great grandparents did in 1907. It worked out well for them. :) Now a days, I know of no one who has had an arranged marriage.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:33 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Yes, I know two couples. one is an indian couple. Worked out great because they happened to fall in love afterwards. Second one, illegal, married to get US citizenship. Didn't work out, girl was called to interview, guy was not to found, girls divorced in absence, married another guy for citizenship, second guy fell in love with girl, girl just wanted citizenship, guy got mad and screwed her buy not showing up at the interview.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 12:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Having traveled overseas I've seen lots of couples who were married by arrangement. It can go either way, but overall marriages are much more stable in those countries. IN GENERAL when a couple gets married, the guy is stoked and the girl is heartsick. They don't have the same expectations of each other we do, and over time many of them fall in love. THere is, of course, many unfortunate situations where a woman is expected to just be a man's slave. I really think the difference in success rate compared to our "love" marriages, though, has more to do with our dating habits and how we tend to date many people and have several sex partners before settling on one. Each of those sexual encounters impacts our bonding. Also, we are much more selfish in our expectations of a mate who we want to please US. I wouldn't want an arranged marriage, but neither am I a fan of western dating habits.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I am not sure if I agree with it. After they are married, does the new husband demand sex??
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• omg no I couldn't do that.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Why would it be illegal? Lol.
    Im just curious. No one in my family hasnt been divorced atleast once, im wondering if maybe not knowing who your SO would be could actually be better. Iv never been married so i wouldnt know, but im thinking IF i do, maybe ill just have my mother pick my husband lol.

Please dont be offended, im just thinking out loud... Sorta. :)
    Keaton_Hazel

Comment by Keaton_Hazel (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My mother always told me to sleep with the potential husband before the marriage because she thinks that sex is very important in marriage and if I don't get along in bed with him, I won't get along in life either. So I kind of slept with a few guys. Before my wedding she asked me whether I have orgasm with my now husband. That was embarrassing. But yes, I do and it's none of her business. Which sparks a question that i will post separately.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 12:46 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• mommy of two....thats a religious matter usually. so no it wouldnt be illegal for a family to force two people to marry eachother here. i assume you're thinking of marriage of convenience, that is illegal because most often it's a ficticious marriage to cut corners around immigration laws and obtaining citizenship or a green card. arranged marriage has a better chance of lasting more than a few years and involving romance or atleast sexual relations with one another.

and no i havent met anyone who was in an arranged marriage.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 12:48 AM on Sep. 16, 2010