How do I discipline a 12yr old boy who talks back and is a little to rough with his siblings?

discipline

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a 12 year old who talks back to me, not his dad, of course. I ground him, take away all video games, cell phone and friends for a week. It seems to work here. Same goes for the sibling thing when they fight they sit and hug each other.
    ohgirl73

Answer by ohgirl73 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• He's reached his pre-teen years, talking back will happen more and more as he gets older. Take away some of his privileges. No friends, stay home all weekend, he can't watch tv, or his favorite show for a week, no video games, if he has a cell phone, take it.
    rileysmommy811

Answer by rileysmommy811 at 12:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would spank, ground, give extra chores, and make him apologize to anyone he's hurt.
    surobb

Answer by surobb at 1:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have a 10 year old boy who has been going through the same thing. I talk to him first and ask him if there is something bothering him. I explain that what he has done is unexceptable. And I take a priviledge away. The next time it happens, I explain that it is unexceptable to behave that way and I take another priviledge away and give him an extra chore for the week!

The worse his attitude gets the more priviledges I take and the more chores I give him! We have had whole weeks when he had nothing to do in or out of the house except chores!
    Strssdmom72

Answer by Strssdmom72 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have a 12 year old and he gets excited every now and then and smarts off to me. He doesn't do it to his dad though. I take his video games away..sometimes I just have to give him a look. He gets the idea.
    Calebsmom95

Answer by Calebsmom95 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Treat him the same way you would treat a 5yr old. Make him stand in the corner. Take away all stimulation until you see changes in behavior. Not just for the day mom. Take sugar away. Only difference in this age and 5yrs old is that he should know better. He'll hate being treated like that but he will improve. Using time out will give you power that yelling or hitting doesn't give.You will have control over his mouth again if he has to stand there all day. It's better than hurting him physically hitting him. Push ups for boys help build muscles. Think Military School.If he don't learn to obey his parents that's where he's going. Boot camp for hard headed boys.
    Anonymous

• same way you would treat the anyother child - sit him in his room or in a spot by himself when he gets out of line - his siblings shouldnt be getting the brunt of his anger - but be sure they didnt taunt him - if so they just need to be separated and both set alone to calm down.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My 11 year old is the same way!!! We make him sit on his bed,novideo games and no playing inside or outside.
    momofsixangels

Answer by momofsixangels at 4:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Remember to have patience. Part of this is puberty and testing boundaries. Make sure that you enforce the boundaries and that you uphold punishments. Make him realize that every action has a reaction be it positive or negative.
    Taking sugar (as a previous poster replied) away won't help. BUT take away all caffeine and red dyed drinks (kool-ade, gatorade etc). Seperate him from siblings when he gets rough. Do not spank. At 12 yrs of age, he's too old. BUT do punish. Remove all special priveldges....TV, video games, mp3, radio, etc. If this means cleaning out his room so that the only thing remaining is a bed, dresser, a few books (for reading nothing like comics that he might enjoy), and a simple alarm clock, and a lamp.....so be it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have the same problem what works for me is taking away his phone, ipod, video games and computer. Take away whatever he loves and make him earn it back with good behavior.
    momoftwins96

Answer by momoftwins96 at 6:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2008