• In the Spotlight:

when do she need glasses?

My daughter was born with abnormaly left pupil. It is slightly bigger than other. She is 4 1/2 and have been seeing eye specialist yearly now. Her sights is perfect. There is nothing wrong with it. her father and I have glasses and so do other ppl in our family so I know its heredity. I had her read letters , small ones with one eye closes and she did perfectly and then wait for 10 mins and did the other eye and she got all letters messed up. Do she need glasses? How do you tell with your child when they need one?

myklexi

Asked by myklexi at 6:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If her eye doctor said she doesn't need glasses then she doesn't need them. Some kids just have a harder time focusing in their weaker eye. And alot of times just because you and members of your family need glasses doesn't mean your daughter does. My parents and both my sisters wear glasses but, I don't need them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Do you have a place that offers vision therapy that could test her? One of my daughter's has a much weaker left eye, but the eye doctor said not to give her glasses because she had strong enough concentration that she didn't need them. After noticing that she started having reading trouble, I had her tested and she's now in vision therapy. I don't know how the best way to explain it would be, but the regular eye doctor tests the 20/20 vision and the therapy doctor tests how the eye sees. I think it's worth having checked, because if you can correct the problem when it's just a vision issue, it's better then having to re-teach reading.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 7:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008