Have you ever been treated this way at a hospital?

My son fell down some stairs today and he started acting all letharic so I got concerned and took him to the ER. When I got there the nurse kind of looked at me funny and took me to a room right away, like I didn't even have to sit down and wait. When I got to the room I noticed right away that there was no exam table and the nurse asked me to undress him down to his diaper. About 15 minutes later a doctor came in and begin to look at him all over and asked me to tell him what happened. I did and he said ok and left and then a woman doctor came in and did the same thing. Finally the original nurse came in and by this time he was acting fine anyway and she told me to just give him some tylenol and bring him back if A B or C happened. I mean like symptom wise. What the heck were they looking for? Bruises?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• They have to do that, by law (in MT anyways). Its nothing personal, they just have to make sure the child is ok and no proof of abuse is evident.
    jdlane1901

Answer by jdlane1901 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• wow, i would of been pissed to, accidents happen i understand that they see these things all the time but damn at least let you know, my son had an accident a months ago he ran into the grill n burned his arm n ear, they didnt tell me anythingbut a nurse was typig evrything the dr sd, he stated both parents are present, baby seems to be attached to mommy n he lookes well nurished, my son is a big boy , but if it would o been my eldest, he is a toothpick but eats like hell i would of had a case on me.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Because they didn't believe you, so they wanted to check everything. Don't take it too personally, they see way too many bad parents, they can't take any chances. I don't work in a ER, I just watch the news and I am already skeptical at stories like this.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 1:05 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• awe poor kid! Yeah don't take it personally. They don't know you from eve so even if they were looking for bruises they were just looking out for the child just in case.
    LovelyMother88

Answer by LovelyMother88 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I guess I shouldn't worry about it so much. My son is fine but I guess its good they are so careful. They could easily run across a case of abuse.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:16 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• You said he fell down some stairs... of course they were looking for brusies!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:01 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• My first thought was they were looking for bruises... any potential child abuse.. the way you described the nurse ... that was my first thought!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Well then why the heck were they looking at his arms and legs? Why not at his head? I told them he was on his back and was going down the stairs head first,
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• He may have had bruises on his back, his legs, arms....It would not be considered complete exam if they didn't look him over. What is he also injured his arm, but wasn't complaining of it right them, and they released him with a Fx.... would you be angry that they didn't check?? A complete medical history (PMHx) includes looking at the whole child, not just the bump on the head.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:07 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I feel so bad that he fell. Its a tall flight of stairs in front of our apartment complex and normally I hold his hand but I let go for just a split second to tuck a sippy cup into the diaper bag and he dropped a tol that went down the stairs. He decided to run down and get it and he fell. Somehow he spun around and was going down the stairs backwards on his back, his head hitting each of the cement steps. I was quick enough to grab his foot or he probably would have gone down all 20 stairs!
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 1:09 AM on Sep. 16, 2010