What do you know about amnio tests? Personal experiences?

I am considering having an amnio test done (for reasons that I'll keep to myself). I know what my reasons are, but to help decide if I should have it done or not, I really, really need some input on the procedure. I know that there is a 1 in 200-400 chance of the amnio causing a miscarriage, so I'm wanting to hear from some women who have had the test. My boyfriend is pushing for it, but I'm quite scared. But I promised him I'd do research and think about it. I've read a few articles, but I'd like to hear from someone who has ACTUALLY been through it before. Please, and thank you so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had one at the very end of my pregnancy, to determine if my son's lungs were mature enough for the c-section that was planned the following day. I was very nervous but it was not a big deal. The doc told me it was more painful then getting your blood drawn, but less painful then getting an IV put in. And he was exactly right. He used the ultrasound to find a spot where there was lots of fluid and less risk of poking the baby. It was over quickly.

That being said, I was offered an ultrasound at 19 weeks, for testing. I decided against it. I wasn't willing to risk it at that point. But at full term, I didn't see it as a big deal. The baby was basically ready, so if anything went horribly wrong then chances were, it would be fine. Oh and I am REALLY glad they did the amnio because it turned out my son's lungs were NOT mature enough, so we waited another 9 days to have him and he was perfect :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:39 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• Ugh - I meant I was offered an AMNIO at 19 weeks, and turned it down. I gotta go to bed lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• my daughter's dad wanted me to have one for a dna test(even though he KNEW it was his).. if thats the case, most doctors will not do it due to the complications it can cause
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 1:55 AM on Sep. 16, 2010